2019 new year's resolutions

Hummus for lunches may get old very quickly unless you are making your own tasty versions. I had serious hummus burnout for a long time after a period of eating too often for lunches myself. Maybe lentil salads if you tire of the hummus ? Easy to make a big batch for several days worth.

1 Like

LOL, that brings back memories for me too. I was vegetarian for some years when people thought that was a novelty. Okay, my family thought it was weird. But as a college student strapped for cash I could eat better food for less money.

When I got married, I crossed back over though what really happened is that we eat lots of veg and little or no meat most days. So that crunchy hippie food was a gateway. And I do love me a good avocado toast, a dish that I think could be its successor. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Actually when i came to nyc for college was the first time vegetarian was something weird- even back then was fairly normal thing in CA.
I was also very broke of course and so glad now because that is how I discovered how much i love asian food- shopping in chinatown my $ went much further than regular grocery store here, and produce was much more fresh and interesting. Necessity the mother of invention and all that i bought some weird to me (cheap!)vegetarian stuff and to this day love nothing more than a good grocery haul from chinatown markets

2 Likes

I might be in the minority but I like to hear about healthy eating. Especially out. Hope you do post about your eating adventures!

Some tips: variety is key. I love big salads with tons of textures. I need crunch and protein in mine or in hungry 10 minutes later. Home-made dressings can be so easy and without all the weird chemicals that keep them shelf stable for 2 years.

3 Likes

Word. I can only imagine the bounty of produce that was available in CA then. And now for that matter.

The selection of produce is better here in the Northeast than ever though honestly I rely on a CSA and farmstands to get the stuff I want during the growing season. I get my kicks, when I can, from veg and fruit that hasnā€™t gone through a long supply chain.

1 Like

Oh yes, I am well aware of hummus burnout. It has happened to me several times over the years. I try to switch it up with different flavors. I go from regular to garlic to supremely spicy, and then Tribe has a delicious lentil hummus. But yeah, after a while, they are all the same.

I tend to burn myself out a lot with lunchtime dishes. When I was teaching, it was peanut butter and jelly every single day. Every single day. This done out of easiness and a general disdain for the teacherā€™s lounge and not wanting to use the fridge or microwave in there. Halfway through the year, I probably took four or five bites and threw the rest out. Hey, I was saving calories at least. Put a PB & J anywhere near me now and Iā€™ll probably gag.

Same here on the salads. Even if there is no protein, I still need some crunch. I try to avoid croutons and instead go for chopped walnuts or pumpkin seeds. A bowl of lettuce does nothing except create hunger minutes later as you said. And there really isnā€™t any nutrition to speak of.

Usually for dressing I mix a bit of Dijon mustard into red wine vinegar and add a splash of olive oil and some black pepper.

1 Like

Iā€™m not anti croutons per say, because I make my own sometimes and know whatā€™s in them. Those packaged ones are filled with crap. I like cucumbers and carrots for crunch factor too. Tons of veggies really but I like those.

I just did this vinegarette that was so delicious. 1/2. Olive oil, 1/4 c balsamic vinegar (I used white), 2 t honey, 1 t Dijon mustard, 1 shallot, 1 clove of garlic (I used 2), s&p. Blend up. Devour on all.

3 Likes

I think I will try to make my own croutons too. Carrots are fine, as is raw broccoli. Buck cucumbers for me are ICK.

That dressing recipe you shared sounds delicious. I will definitely try it!

1 Like

By the way, I am down 5.5 pounds this week. Not life-changing, but not bad considering Iā€™m not dieting, just trying to make better decisions and keep physical activity going through these challenging winter months.

6 Likes

I usually make a loaf of no-knead bread whenever we need bread in the freezer. It is super simple.

1 Like

My resolution is to continue making tasty food. Continue getting out and walking. Maybe drinking less. Hard with amazing spirits to sample nightly.

Sell my business and enjoy life like I did before being an owner. Semi retirement sounds good.

3 Likes