2017 IHHS Show

In the slight chance that anyone will respond to this, I ask: Are there any Onions who will be attending the International Home and Housewares Show in Chicago on March 18-21, 2017?

Ray, this is your chance to see/fondle/worship Hestan Cue… Polyscience may even have a presence at the Breville booth!

Hi Kaleo,

I’m curious, but I’ll wait until something comes to LA. Maybe by then I can come up with a proposal that will net me a “control freak” to test and play with.

Ray.

You may be waiting in the grave, Ray. The show’s been in Chicago every year since 1949.

Kaleo

Hi, Ray:

Today was the first day of the 2017 IHHS show. I got a chance to visit with Chef Phil Tessier, the French Laundry-trained chef who is working for Hestan. Tomorrow will meet with Tessier and Stanley Cheng about our pan technology.

It turns out that the Cue hotplate unacceptably hot-spotted the original frypan that debuted in the “Hannibal Lecter” room last year. This necessitated manufacturing a substantially smaller (but same construction) BlueTooth-embedded pan for this year’s show and the 4/1/17 market launch.

Here are two photos for you to drool over. As you can see, attendees were, to borrow from Samuel Goldwyn, staying away in droves…

Aloha,
Kaleo

Hi Kaleo,

Were they also displaying and demonstrating their new nanobond collection?

Ray

Meyer has a huge booth. I had no time today after meeting with Stanley Cheng (the STAN in Hestan) .

I note that this line is stainless triply with a titanium alloy exterior coating.

For those who are interested:

http://www2.smartbrief.com/servlet/encodeServlet?issueid=88DB5435-7157-4C55-8A51-E14EED425FD2&sid=accee983-8829-4097-b267-abd414270601

For me the highlights included: meeting with Stanley Cheng, who is probably the world’s greatest cookware innovator, and visiting with the owner of Berard, the world’s best wooden utensils (e.g., I learned some differences between Tunisian and Italian olive woods).

The $100 admission price for 4 days is a value, considering what and who a cookware aficianado gets to see and do.

Aloha,
Kaleo

Curious, what’s the difference?

The Tunisian grows far more slowly, so is tighter-grained. Pieces of it that are large enough for bowls are very rare. Italian (and Californian) grows much faster.