$1900 Knife - is it worth it?

Well said, cowboyardee. I think you hit it on the hit when you said this is a replicate. I think that is the problem here. It is a replicate afterall, and it is usually a bad investment to buy a replicate unless the replicates are priceless treasures.

Do you have a different handle name from the Chowhound site? Assuming you are from chowhound.

Same username.

Sorry, I mixed you up with someone I know.

Good knives come in a range of styles, sizes & prices. Itā€™s easy to get a serviceable, durable knife for you kitchen tasks. Will this knife cut better? Last longer? Make your food better? No. This is being sold as (somewhat) handcrafted art & thatā€™s the reason for the price. If you love the look & it makes you happy to have & use it then buy it. If you want a good value on a knife that works just as well - look elsewhere.

However, I do blacksmithing & I know what kind of work goes into a piece like that. Itā€™s not overpriced.

Youā€™re my husband posting as Robinjoy, arenā€™t you?

Little late to the conversationā€¦ there is a Bob Kramer Original 10" Chefā€™s knife for sale currently on ebay. Auction no. 222509315714 or just search Bob Kramer Original Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find it. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the information Alan.

It is amazing that an original used knife is already bid to $2650. It does look like in excellent condition.

For $1900 bucks, I feel like a knife should be custom designed for me. Is that asking for too much?

1 Like

Worth is such a relative term. Do I think itā€™s worth it? No, but I look at a knife as a tool and not art. As a tool you can get a top notch edge for a faction of that price but art is in the eye of the beholder.

4 Likes

Beautifully put, Scubadoo.

Itā€™s at $4550, reserve not met. 16 biddersā€“57 bids. All private bidders. 20 minutes left. My guess is that it will be withdrawn.

I like the knife, but Iā€™d have bid no more than $100ā€“about what I paid for my Wusthof Chefā€™s knife. The most Iā€™ve ever paid was about $170 for my Miyabi birchwood 8"ā€“which I think was a little crazy!

Ray

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting that it was on eBay. Didnā€™t he move to holding auctions for his knives, resale too, to his own site to stop counterfeits?

The above eBay sale probably is not from Bob Kramer himself. It may be a former buyer who is selling his/her knife. Afterall, it is a used knife kept at very good condition.

No I understand that. But I think even resale knives (people selling the knives they bought) had a site he was running because eBay had a run of counterfeit knives a while ago. Maybe he isnā€™t doing that anymore. Iā€™ll see if I can find the article that I heard that from if I have time today.

The auction ended. The reserve was not met. It will be relisted with a lower reserve. Also, no international bidding occurred bc he unknowingly selected the global shipping auction and knives are prohibited. He had been contacted by people in Canada, Australia, etc who wanted to bid. Auction will be relisted today for all to bid if interested.

Updateā€¦ I ran into Bob Kramer a week or so ago. Heā€™s relocating his operation yet againā€“this time to Bellingham, WA. Literally many irons in the fireā€¦