11-12 lb whole bone-in lamb leg

Guess what’s in the pot: Navarin of lamb, an excellent suggestion for a portion of our 11 lb leg.

I guess it was a bit of a lamb-basting - sorry about that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No need. You’re not the first to try to pull the wool over my eyes.

2 Likes

An 11 to 12 pound of lamb is mutton.

If it is an entire Leg like we get from local Farms(Hoof to above the Hip including the split Tail Bone! ) I do not think that 10-12# is an unusually large/old Animal.
After we remove the Chump, separate the the upper Leg from the Shank and lower Leg your left with a pretty standard sized Leg of Lamb

2 Likes

Please post what you ultimately do with your humongo leg o lamb!

@droolingdoggie What did you do after all this? Inquiring minds want to know!

I just received my boning knife today and won’t cut the leg up till Sat. Will let you know what happens.

1 Like

I hope this doesn’t. come across as insulting, but when you come to breaking down the keg, there is excellent cut-by-cut instruction on Google.

1 Like

No this is not insulting. Which video is this? Do you mind sharing the link?

There are quite a few.. I would just run through them and see which ones make sense to you. and/or combine a few good moves.

2 Likes

The main thing a video (or diagram or explanation) is going to help with is letting you know ahead of time what you’re going to see at each step of the process, so that you don’t get discouraged or confused. (And of course so that you end up getting a better result, with the minimum of hacking.)

I agree with pilgrim that you should pay the most attention to whichever sources are (as they say) “speaking your language”. They all know the same right method - or at least if they differ, either way is fine - but someone who thinks the same way you do will explain it best.

2 Likes

Exactly what Julia said while describing how to bone out a whole chicken. At one point she admonishes, and I paraphrase, “Now it looks like you’ve botched the whole thing. But it is exactly right. Go on to the next step and it will all come together eventually.”

1 Like

This is a job that all comes together when it all comes apart. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. With good knives, I hope I don’t mess up.

You could easily have done it with whatever you had for a similar sized knife, as long as you made sure it was sharp - but this way will be more fun. :+1:

What shiny item (i.e. knife) did you choose?

1 Like

Make sure that you always keep the blade of the knife going along the bone. And don’t ever cut towards your hand or arm.

2 Likes

What smaller parts should I break the leg into?
I am planning to:
(1) trim the outer fat – save it for later to wrap leaner roast in
(2) then, cut the outer parts into smaller, manageable pieces
(3) trim around the bone and see what I get. The worst is that I waste some meat.

I have bought a pair of butchering gloves, some bigger chopping boards, and a vacuum sealer for this task.

Geez, what did I get myself into???!

You got yourself into too many gadgets for just one job :smile: , but if they were easy to afford then hey why not?

Side of beef next? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Well, looks like you wanted some STUFF!

Everything is easier than it seems the first time.

Most effort we put in this past year was breaking down a full brisket. (Not counting fish that had to be portioned and skinned.)

I’m a big fan of vacuum sealers now!

Re wasted meat - just save all the scraps for soup or stew.

1 Like