What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

I have some leftover chili, so I’m making some crispy-skinned baked russets, and covering them with chili, green onion, sharp cheddar, and sour cream for the husband.

just had some carrots with hummus so I’m feeling okay about my protein/fiber/veg intake for the day. I am just slightly obsessed about ticking all the boxes.

OK, I just snorted. Several times. LOL

1 Like

Friday was a quick lemon-roasted Frankenchicken breast and steamed broccoli. Last night was a reunion @ the Burlington Marriott with current and former employees of the first company I joined when I moved to MA just over 26 years ago. GREAT time reconnecting with people I hadn’t seen in 20 years. Basic hotel catering food - not bad, not great (chicken, salmon, roasted veggies, hotel-style saffron rice that was WAY too gluey). Libations flowed from the cash bar.

Tonight? Za’atar Pork Chop that was pan-sauteed for a couple minutes on each side, then some white wine added and pan covered, spooning the wine over top of the chop a couple of times while it cooked. Mango salsa (sans cilantro, obviously - I subbed flat-leaf parsley) on top.

Sauteed corn (fresh-frozen from last summer’s season), sweet red pepper, and red onion with some Aleppo pepper for a bit of bite.

Wine. And Yum.

6 Likes

11C? That’s shorts weather for me :slight_smile: But your food looks really good.

1 Like

Happy-ish ending to the disappointing steakhouse meal: for lunch today, I seared the leftover slices and added a little herb sauce, and they were much better, although still tough and not terribly flavorful. Fuel, nothing more (and damn expensive fuel at that!).

Dinner was 100x more satisfying. I had some lovely haricots verts, which I steam-sauteed in white wine and browned butter and seasoned with fennel pollen and dehydrated orange powder (oranges sliced thin and dried in a low oven, then ground up with some coarse salt). These were served alongside an improvised chicken in melted cherry tomatoes dish - just seared chicken and cherry tomatoes in the same pan, then added a little white wine and covered until the chicken was cooked through and the tomatoes had exploded. Uncovered to reduce the resulting “sauce” and basta. I would have thrown in some fresh thyme or other herb if I’d had it, but it was still tasty without. Cheese for afters!

5 Likes

Scroll down to Fish Market in Iceland. We’ll be checking it out in December and I’d love her feedback.

What are Lebanese onions please?

Catching up … Thursday night I worked until 8 and when I got home I was not in any mood to cook. We walked to out local Chinese place. My torn calf muscle is healing so I can walk, just not fast.
Friday night happy hour was some cheese and baguette, and then a quick pasta with garden zucchini, tomatoes, and roasted garlic.
Saturday we went to a local steak house bar. Cocktails and spinach dip to start. DH had a delicious pork chop and I had albacore shashimi with ponzu and jalapeño.
Tonight was lasagna made with some home grown zucchini, and a Caesar salad.

4 Likes

It’s a Lebanese Salad. Not Lebanese onions.

Weather’s still kinda lame today, so we’re gonna go shoot some pool tonight. Maybe a döner or shwarma is WFD.

1 Like

LOL. Thanks!

Have made Gua Bao before but my first time making the buns from scratch. Takes some time, mostly waiting for the first and second rises, but it’s really easy.

Waiting for the buns to rise

Closer… crushed nuts are actually roasted macadamia.

Pork belly was braised yesterday

10 Likes

It all looks so wonderful Presunto! As usual.

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to make those for years!

Went with a pasta/veg/chicken dish tonight. Slices of chicken, sliced carrots, broccoli florets, red bell pepper strips, and chunks of onion all sauteed, and mixed with cavatappi, The sauce was some garlic-herb cheese, 1% milk, a lot of extra dried herbs, some white wine and a bit of fresh lemon juice. Grated Parm-Reg on top. Fair. Not great, but filling. And lunch for a few days.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was part of a cleaning out the fridge exercise since I’m off Wed for my annual Kentucky bourbon barrel tasting, cigar smoking, food feast, buying trip. A maxed out guys trip.

I had roasted some red and yellow beets the other day and had a couple of sweet potatoes on the counter top that were sprouting.

Made a beet salad with a side of sweet potato oven fries and pan seared steelhead trout. I really love beets.

5 Likes

Bless your heart :slight_smile:

I am blessed

It’s a Southern expression, ya know??? :smile:

Don’t I know. I’m a southern boy

LOL :wink: