What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

2 Likes

Gorgeous springy warm day and salad sounded perfect- i love this spinach date and almond one from ottolenghi- i made a half recipe with just olive oil and skimped on the almonds since i just didn’t have quite enough.
So simple yet really great combo

3 Likes

That sucks, bionda!

We were all set to finally go to the Syrian place, but a new (to me) German restaurant just around the corner caught our interest. A family run business serving local & seasonal food at very moderate prices – what’s not to like?

The menu is posted on an old-fashioned split-flap display that changes over to random facts and, at least yesterday, to terminator quotes :smiley:

We shared the fried chicken skin as an app, which they serve with a homemade ketchup. OMG FRIED CHICKEN SKIN FTW :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I ordered asparagus soup (huge portion, not pictured, with big chunks of asparagus and sliced radishes – unusual and incredibly flavorful) & a radish-cucumber salad, which our waitress misunderstood and brought us this silly plate instead: “radishes & scallions”. She left it at no charge, but we didn’t eat much of it. What are we, wabbits? Pwease.

The cuke & radish salad arrived shortly thereafter, as did my man’s fantabulous seared Tafelspitz with mashed potatoes I wanted to faceplant in forever :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey Lingua

Good to see your trip continues well. Brit celebrity chef, Rick Stein, “did” Berlin this week - visiting a number of restaurants - Nobelhart & Schmutzig, La Soupe Populaire, Cookies Cream. All looked good.

Disappointingly, it seems that no British progamme abour Germany can manage without a Hitler reference. Even a food one! When will we get over the war as a nation?

Ah, yes - they’re the hip places now. Out of my range, price-wise, but popular for sure.

What was the Hitler reference? :sunglasses:

I like this! It’s a huge electronic display and the humour is a nice touch.

Without the FrĂŒhlinglauch I would eat it. I like the nonchalant presentation.

As soon as I finished reading the menu board I knew I would want to order the Tafelspitz (mit frisch geriebene Meerrettich/horseradish!). I love this cut. Here it doesn’t exist so I have to tell the butcher where exactly it is located in the animal.

Gonna watch the Berlin episode tonight.

1 Like

ZOMG. Those look ridiculous!!!

1 Like

A visit to some nondescript patch of waste land under which, apparently, was his “bunker” at the end of the war.

There were also a couple of cutting edge guys who styled themselves as guerrilla (or gorilla) chefs doing a pop-up. Food looked good. Like me, Stein is old enough to be everyone else’s grandfather. I yearn for the days when I went to restaurants and was just old enough to be everyone’s father.

1 Like

To be fair, Berlin is where those motherfuckers set up, so it’s hard to leave that aside. At least we’ve learned from our history '-)

4 Likes

It went from 25C to 11C this Pentecost long weekend. I saw it as an opportunity to use up some winter provisions.

“Fantastic meal” :joy:

just as @Frizzle had said, the legs were big. I have saved the leftover fat for cooking other things.

The vegs were beet greens and leeks. I tried both red and white wines and they tasted fine with this meal.

4 Likes

As for WWFD tonight: most of the asparagus we bought yesterday. My man’s not as fond of it, so there was no way we could plow through all of the 1.5 kg, but we made a good dent. New potatoes with an unreasonable amount of parsley butter & Schinkenspeck on the side. PfĂ€lzer Riesling, too.

A perfect meal for a lazy Sunday :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Absolutely perfect.

I also had asparagus, for lunch. (photos can wait)

Ya know
 most every restaurant these days serves their asparagus half raw. I get the whole al dente thing, but – frankly, it has to be a little floppy for me. Otherwise, you just get that raw spargel flavor. But that’s the fashionable way to serve it, apparently.

How’s it done in your neck of the woods?

1 Like

Others like it well done. I like it either raw or cooked but not to death.

Raw but then shaved. If you don’t like it shaved and still crunchy you can toss in a bit of salt and/or wine vinegar. However, eat it asap or it will be too soft.

I prefer to steam it til almost done, then turn off the fire. Residual heat will take care of it.

2 Likes

Whole duck on the pellet smoker , Croatian sausages . Steamed purple beans , potatoes , spring porcini sautéed .

4 Likes

WFD: A. Pan-grilled or broiled thick bone-in pork chops. Marinated with a paste of sweet Hungarian paprika, red pepper flakes, minced garlic, salt, white wine vinegar.
G will decide whether to grill or broil.

B. Roasted asparagus. Olive oil to roast, Kosher salt sprinkled when finished.
C. Lebanese chopped sweet onion and tomato salad with cubed feta, zaatar, and hazelnut oil. Chopped parsley for garnish.

During a phone conversation with my daughter this morning she announced that she and a friend were traveling to
 Iceland, of all places
 at the end of June. They’ve taken an apartment and plan to see and do as much as they can in seven days. Although she does her own research before she travels I did send her that “happiness” article we discussed earlier. I was wondering, though, if there were any native foodstuffs that she could bring back for me
 Does anyone know? As long as it’s nothing remotely like lutefisk.

5 Likes

I have some leftover chili, so I’m making some crispy-skinned baked russets, and covering them with chili, green onion, sharp cheddar, and sour cream for the husband.

just had some carrots with hummus so I’m feeling okay about my protein/fiber/veg intake for the day. I am just slightly obsessed about ticking all the boxes.

OK, I just snorted. Several times. LOL

1 Like

Friday was a quick lemon-roasted Frankenchicken breast and steamed broccoli. Last night was a reunion @ the Burlington Marriott with current and former employees of the first company I joined when I moved to MA just over 26 years ago. GREAT time reconnecting with people I hadn’t seen in 20 years. Basic hotel catering food - not bad, not great (chicken, salmon, roasted veggies, hotel-style saffron rice that was WAY too gluey). Libations flowed from the cash bar.

Tonight? Za’atar Pork Chop that was pan-sauteed for a couple minutes on each side, then some white wine added and pan covered, spooning the wine over top of the chop a couple of times while it cooked. Mango salsa (sans cilantro, obviously - I subbed flat-leaf parsley) on top.

Sauteed corn (fresh-frozen from last summer’s season), sweet red pepper, and red onion with some Aleppo pepper for a bit of bite.

Wine. And Yum.

6 Likes