What's for Dinner #9, 5/2016 - the "Don't Cast a Clout" edition

Yesterday I made pizza dough so that was dinner. We topped our za with a tiny bit of tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, wine and garlic salami, and a few dollops of fresh ricotta. The mozzarella and ricotta came from a new vendor at our FM and both were of the charts delicious.

4 Likes

Holy cow! You’ve outdone yourself. Again.

1 Like

Scuba - I would love to hear more about your barrel tasting and buying when you return! Perhaps a new thread. Safe travels.

We will be doing barrel tastings at Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Jim Beam and Wild Turkey. We were invited to the New, Old Taylor distillery by their new Master Distiller Mary Ann Barns to tour the remake of this old castle. Outside of those official tasting we will be doing an agave tasting, a barrel aged beer tasting and a malt tasting at the hotel sponsored by different members. Between all of those there will be plenty of whiskey to be enjoyed and cigars to be smoked in between with a heavy dose of comradery and lots of food. We have a couple professional chefs as members and a lot of members that like to cook and bbq so the food is always excellent and plentiful.

4 Likes

Almost forgot.

We will be doing a rum tasting at the hotel as well, I’m bringing two bottles. Richard Seale the master distiller of Foursquare distillery in Barbados will be flying in to join us for this tasting and will give a presentation on rum. He is a big advocate for pure rums that have no additives.

3 Likes

I am always working on myself/my photography/my food etc, for myself.

In case anyone wants to give it ago, here are the 2 recipes I have tried: by a Taiwanese who was actually a chef no less, and this one is from a UK food mag.

Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes

After failing horrendously at pool last night, WFD was a drunken meal of currywurst & fries at one of the more popular local currywurst providers.

We met an old buddy for lunch at our favorite sushi place today, so dinner was in tonight – another hodge podge of leftovers: a few asparagi cut on the bias, diced button mushrooms, pork steak cut into chunks, a little bacon, half a red & yellow pepper each all went into a pan with lard & butter. Nice enough, but not photogenic by any means.

Mixed salad of Belgian endive, endive, radicchio & other lettuces in a mustard vinaigrette.

Some German flick on the teevee. Lazy Tuesday.

2 Likes

WFD: A. CSF fish share: Haddock from the F/V Captain Joe.

A. Pan-Roasted Haddock Fillets. Clarified butter , lemon zest, dry thyme, S & P. The fillets are basted with the butter during cooking, all the buttery pan juices then create a delicious sauce for each serving. Minced parsley shower. Lemon wedges.

B. Roasted Potatoes, Zucchini, Tomatoes, Garlic from Corfu. S & P, parsley, basil, Greek oregano, Greek olive oil. 400F/1 hr to char.

6 Likes

My fish dinner is nothing like @Gio’s. But it scratched the itch for fried fish that started up as I left work tonight.

A couple of Gorton’s crunchy fish fillets on a sub roll with a remoulade of mayo, chili sauce, and pickle relish. The side was potato chips. The veg was the large leaf of lettuce on top of the sandwich. :wink:

The two finales of NCIS and NCIS:NOLA on the tube tonight. (Waving bye to Anthony DiNozzo.)

4 Likes

Couple of Croatian sausages pan fried , toast , two fried eggs .

3 Likes

Like this?

They look fabulous
and since I still haven’t gotten up the nerve to try to stuff casings probably within my reach :slight_smile:

These are different . I get mine from Freedom meat lockers in Watsonville . They are called smoked Kobacica Croatian style . They are porky and garlicky ground medium .

1 Like

Leftover brisket I smoke Sunday. More cleaning out the fridge. Along with the brisket I sautéed peppers and charred a couple ears of corn before finishing them in the microwave.

1 Like

Yesterday I found myself in Vorhees NJ where I spotted Flemmings Steakhouse so I decided that would be dinner for the night. (See full review on NJ board!!)

Shrimp cocktail and CAB NY Sirloin Steak, Medium, side creamed spinach.

5 Likes

Burgers with goat cheese and a roasted cherry tomato relish (cherry toms, onion, garlic, thyme and white wine, roasted in a bit of bacon fat) and roasted Brussels sprouts. The sprouts were a bit gamey - we’re at the end of the season, so even though you can get them year-round now I’ll probably stop buying them until fall. I also made a batch of bacon jam (really more of a coarse bacon-chipotle pĂątĂ© in this case), so DH enjoyed some of the bacon I had prepared with his burger.

3 Likes

Seems like a strange time of year for soup, but I’m making Italian sausage and swiss chard soup tonight. Non-creamy, with potato. The chard looked so fresh I had to buy it.

5 Likes

WFD = Sort of Vegetable Chow Mein with Bean Sprouts, Snow Peas, Mixed Mushrooms, Edamame. Onions, carrots, Napa cabbage, soy sauce, Chinese rice vinegar, sesame oil, grapeseed oil, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes. Chopped cilantro over each serving, and hot sauce served on the side.

The chow-ish mein will be served over Brown Basmati rice steamed in chicken broth. Just a typical stir-fry using anything worthy of stir-frying.

1 Like

Yet another evening of DWC - Don’t Wanna Cook. Usually I’d go the usual Prince Spaghetti Day route of sketti and sawce, but since I had had pasta on Monday with leftovers today, that’s a no-go.

So - it’s gonna be open faced tuna melts and sweet potato fries.

4 Likes

Chicken Cesare salad, easy peasy. I cheated a bit on the dressing using mayo as the base, shhhhh, don’t tell!

4 Likes

Burger patty with onions , couple of fried eggs , with a side of Ranch beans , and toast .

2 Likes