What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

Quick, easy, simple, great flavors.

Rana’s 5 cheese tortellini cooked and tossed into a sauce of sauteed cherry tomatoes (until they popped), white wine, feta cheese, and fresh torn basil, with a very light sprinkle of Parm-Reg on top. Wine alongside.

19 Likes

Ok, how do you think it would be after tossing in a small handful of dried juniper berries into the bottle for a week/couple of weeks/month?

2 Likes

I have wondered about this. Your lecture sounds very interesting!

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was fettucine with homemade marinara sauce with spring mix on the side. I was too hangry to take a picture but there may be a repeat on Saturday night :wink:

11 Likes

I really don’t know. It was so far removed from gin. Quinine was one of the ingredients which was odd. This was supposed to be a London Dry Gin not a G & T in a bottle. On its own, very strange aftertaste and coating on the tongue.

Like I said, when mixed with, say, lemon juice and honey for a Bee’s Knees it was fine because it was hidden.

I know my drinks. I’ve bartended occasionally for a friend who does catering. Not to toot my own horn, but people love my drinks. No one raved about any of them last night! LOL!

5 Likes

Applewood and rosemary smoked lamb kebabs on the grill. Homemade pita wraps, tzatziki and hummus. Greek salad with olives and feta.

Deets for the lamb marinade on the kebab thread.

21 Likes

Beef chile colorado, veg, pinto beans, blue corn tortillas, and rice.

20 Likes

Another yummy snacky dinner by the BF, getting rid of some leftovers. and his “pate”! made with chicken, the chicken fat, a little mayo, pickle relish, and salt. So good.

21 Likes

Rainbow Beef from the Myers & Chang Cookbook (restaurant in Boston) with sirloin flap meat, different peppers, scallions and onion with a sauce made from soy sauce, oyster sauce, chile-fermented black beans and roasted sesame oil - served over rice

17 Likes

No pictures. Late evening with a ho hum mood . Of course there was wine . Two new breakthroughs. Those anchovies I had posted last night fried two ways . They were good. But I wanted to find out how they were uncooked.
Cleaned them . Pulling out the backbone . Tossed into a vinaigrette of lemon , olive oil , salt , a splash of red wine vinegar. Game changer. I’ll never cook them again. Well maybe if I toss them in a pasta sauce.
Second two egg omelette. I’ve heard about this Boursin cooking cream . Picked some up . Topped my omelette with it . It was sweet without the tang of sour cream . A deal changer . Cheers.:wine_glass:

15 Likes

Bucatini with littlenecks in Lahey’s tomato / pizza sauce leftover from my pizza disaster a few nights ago. This dish took all of 15 minutes to put together - although I took a leisurely time soaking the clams all afternoon and they were grit-free.

Tomato/cuke/red romaine/corn cut off the cob salad and the rest of the shrimp for more shrimp cocktail (not pictured).

It made me happy that nearly everything we ate last night was locally-produced, except for the olive oil, the corn (I think from NJ), pasta was handmade at a local shop but I’m not sure where the flour is sourced from, and the wine (although B did also have a local beer). Growing season is short but glorious in New England.

21 Likes

Last night was an assortment of apps from the Asian market. Pictured are the scallion pancakes:

And a cocktail in our little paradise:

So much Asian/Indian this week. I don’t think I can do it tonight. Maybe a steak?

19 Likes

Oh. Em. Gee. I had to go look this up as I’ve never heard of it. Where did you find it in the stupidmarket?

3 Likes

I purchased it at grocery outlet for 1.99

3 Likes

Fantastic! The tip about the softening of the carrot is appreciated. Do you have a preference for the raisins? Sultanas because they are lighter in color? I will try this recipe this weekend. Thank you!

Sultanas, because they seem to keep longer in my pantry without drying out - lol. :laughing:

2 Likes

I could probably do the same thing by adding President garlic/herb cheese and some heavy cream.

2 Likes

Simple meal here again last night. Chicken thigh, rice pilaf, and broccoli - broccoli was slightly overcooked and while I don’t like it crunchy, I do prefer it at the cooked just right stage. Haven’t overcooked broccoli in a long time and hope to never do so again.

15 Likes

boursin cooking cream, as in, NOT the cheese?
i’ve never seen it, does it live in the dairy section?

2 Likes

ok just saw this - i’ll take a look for it! i just rediscovered Boursin the cheese from Grocery Outlet a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes