What's For Dinner #83 - the I Scream, You Scream Edition - July 2022

The one at DB Bistro? That was pretty delicious. $35 the last time I had it iirc, but that was over a decade ago.

2 Likes

Thank you

Fresh corn is finally in at the farm stand down the road. So I added kernels to a container of Blount Clam Chowder.

As the side, Iggy’s bread toasted and topped with a quick relish I made from a pile of cherry tomatoes, garlic scape, and olive oil.

The prepared chowder was extremely thick and moisture from the fresh corn didn’t make a difference in thinning it. If I do this again, I may try bottled clam juice or plain water to get the thinner consistency we prefer. The Blount chowder had a pleasant flavor though it needed the addition of a vegetable, potato, or other seafood to turn it into a meal for us. The same is true for any other prepared chowder I’ve tried so far, though.

15 Likes

BF made Chicken Katsu Curry last night. He has made this several times, each amazing, but he used a different recipe this time and it was out of this world.

And speaking of chicken, I was interviewed for this article on the Today Show’s website. A lovely 20 minute phone call and they managed to use only a couple sentences. Still cool, I suppose. At least they linked my blog (which I don’t even use anymore!).

23 Likes

Definitely cool. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

yes, i tried it way back in 2002. and yeah, i think that’s what we paid for it then too, and it was scandalous!

1 Like

Congrats! How did they find you, from your blog?

Would your BF be willing to share this version of the katsu? Although I’ll probably switch it to pork, or at least chicken thighs. woody or not, not a big fan of breast meat here.

6 Likes

happy happy, and many more to both of you!

2 Likes

Congratulations @Sasha.

1 Like

That is fantastic, @gcaggiano.

1 Like

Dinner for a hot night: fresh farmstand veggies with blue cheese dressing and a lot of freshly-ground fermented white pepper. The little pale purple turnips were especially tasty. Not pictured: G&T with extra lime.

18 Likes

Too damn hot for this, but when a craving hits, you gotta feed the fire.

Went with Gimme Some Oven’s Skinny Orange Chicken, served on mixed together leftover Basmati rice and Near East rice pilaf, topped with chopped green onions, sesame seeds, and cashews, because I had them. And because I can. :wink: P.S. cut the cornstarch at least in half. It’s WAY too much as written.

Peas alongside. And I had some wine. Even though it’s only Wednesday.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was inspired by the epicurious recipe for hot sesame noodles with scallions and pork. The recipe calls for ground meat (chicken, beef or pork). Since I had none of the above I used steak sliced with yellow zucchini and red pepper. The sauce called for Tahini, soy sauce, rice vinegar and mirin. It was a little sweeter than I remember.

17 Likes

Last night’s dinner was a fail. Pizza dough, which I’ve made many times before, failed to rise due to old yeast. It was chewing on shoe leather. But I am grateful for the Onions who chimed in.

Tonight’s was better; however, I still can’t remember to take a photo in a timely manner, so this was half-eaten by B before I stopped him. Striper marinated for ~30 minutes in the fridge in olive oil/fresh lemon juice/crushed garlic cloves/dried oregano/salt&pepper. Then grilled. Even doubtful Spring Onion liked it. Sides (mostly not pictured) were brown rice+barley, (bad/tough/starchy) COTC, steamed string beans, simple tomato+cuke+jalapeño salad. An appetizer of shrimp cocktail.

17 Likes

Quick mozzarella and mushroom ravioli (both Rana) and spinach bake and garden chard. It was tasty. I had a chocolate affogato for dessert followed by a peach Four Roses old fashioned (syrup leftover from macerating peaches for peach crumble).

18 Likes

Twice cooked pork with onions and bell pepper, with a big bowl of rice.

18 Likes

Washington Post’s Pasta All Gricia with bacon and garden kale.

Dessert will be the last of our 2021 brandied peaches.

20 Likes

Broke into my goody bag tonight . Starting with the Monterey bay anchovies.
On the left in the dish are . Spanish fried anchovies. Cleaned rolled in flour and fried for a minute. (Borquerones Fritos ).
On right . Italian fried anchovies. ( Acciughe Fritte ) …
All give the winner to the Italian . Just a little more moist . Maybe from dipping in the egg .
Would I make this again. Probably not . I’ll just fillet them . Toss with a little lemon and olive oil . Don’t get me wrong. They were both good .
German potato salad and Cole slaw for a side on this hot weather evening. Cheers .:wine_glass:

18 Likes

Yes, they found an article I did on it.

And I will ask for the recipe he used and get back to you.

1 Like

Monkfish with sauteed mushrooms, balcony lettuce (including the dreaded red lettuce!).

13 Likes