What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

Likewise! I followed her Recipes for Health column for years in the Times and picked up one of her books a few years ago (Mediterranean Harvest). She’s my favorite of the Times collection of author.

1 Like

Welcome to HO AND the Crumby picture club!! I’m not only a member but the President too! (Oh wait, never mind Thats my hair club)

5 Likes

A rare visit to WFD for me (and, no, I still don’t do photos of dinners at Casa Harters) - I was curious to see how the newcomers were settling in.

We’ve been running down the old decrepit freezer prior to the delivery of a new one (came this afternoon). What was left of the protein is on holiday in the SiL’s freezer till tomorrow when the new beast will be properly powered up.

We’ve got arancini and a Norma sauce for pasta for tonight. Both from the last of the stuff in the brown gloop drawer and just need warming up. Last night, it was Middle Eastern. Small chunks of leftover roast lamb (also from the brown gloop) drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled heavily with baharat and warmed through (and crisped up a tad) in the frying pan. Alongside I made houmous (cheat’s version using tinned chickpeas). Salad - Little Gem lettuce, cucumber, carrot. Khobez flatbreads were also in the freezer. And assorted jars of pickles, etc - olives, mixed Iraqi torshi, pickled turnip, Iranian baby cucumber. And a blisteringly hot bottled chilli & garlic sauce from the Asian supermaket.

And, yes, I overate and needed a lie down in front of the TV

25 Likes

So great to see you here! I really hope this becomes less rare…

6 Likes

What @mariacarmen said, @Harters . Always welcome here, with or without pics! And the arancini sound perfect!

5 Likes

They are a farmers market purchase which freeze well and, once defrosted, just need a warm through in the oven. We need to make a tomato sauce for them. Pasta a la Norma is a regular order for me at our favourite Italian restaurant. Some weeks back we had a try at making it - double quantities - half for then half for the freezer.

6 Likes

Made Giada’s Cioppino recipe because I had a buttload of seafood. She doesn’t add crab. I did. I love this recipe. I love the fennel in the broth. It is SO good.

24 Likes

:heart_eyes_cat::heart:

1 Like

Made migas (basically scrambled eggs with additions) on warm corn tortillas along with some cherry tomatoes, green onions, black olives, and pepperoncini. I was really disappointed. Just didn’t think they were very good. Won’t be making again.

16 Likes

that looks fantastic. so glad you’re here!

1 Like

aw, too bad! did you not like the crispy chips fried into the eggs? hard to see what you have there with the tortillas enveloping the eggs…

1 Like

Mmm, I’ll have to try this. I’ve never had the real thing, does it typically have crab?

I think it was just a dish-mash of whatever leftovers the fisherman used to have to stick into it. I don’t think there is a typical. Although, most of the ones I’ve had do have sort of shellfish in them. Crab, in particular.

1 Like

Had a slow day at work so I took advantage of some extra time and the sunny weather to fire up the smoker and cook a few racks of ribs. St. Louis cut from Costco, coated with a touch of BBQ sauce and then a hefty dose of dry rub. 6.5 hours at 225 over a mix of pecan, cherry and hickory, and they were just about perfect. Fennel slaw alongside. Lots of leftovers to enjoy this weekend, too!

14 Likes

Freezer dig-out of the chicken/shroom/pepper sauce from a few weeks ago, over linguine, with added slices of leftover Portuguese sausage from last night. Can’t go wrong adding sausage, sez we. Salad with winter tomatoes macerated in Corti Bros. red wine vinegar.

Happy Friday, everybody!

Linda's chicken mushroom pepper sauce 4

Linda's chicken mushroom pepper sauce 3

20 Likes

Nice to see you here, @Harters . I have many brown gloop things in my freezer but only sometimes recognize what they are before defrosting. It can make for an interesting meal.

5 Likes

Flour-and-corn tortillas with homemade chorizo and refries. Ranch for me. Sriracha mayo for him.

22 Likes

Didn’t get to dinner until 10 so quick fix jammy egg on peasant bread with avocado and HO Scott’s quick hollandaise.

21 Likes

"Pork chops and applesauce! "

Okay, not really Generation Jones. Pork chops and collard greens.

21 Likes

Looks lovely @Rooster !

I must have missed it - would you mind sharing?