What's For Dinner #79 - the Carly Simon "An-ti-ci-pay-yay-shun" Edition - March 2022

WOWZA! Jaw unhingeing!

1 Like

Squeeze bottle!

2 Likes

Gabriellas (Italian steakhouse) coming to middletown nj - Regional Dining Discussions / New Jersey - Hungry Onion

I must be drizzle impaired because even with a squeeze bottle I get blobs.

3 Likes

Lasagna with fresh noodles, jarred marinara, veal, bacon, mushrooms and ricotta. Beans, salad.

20 Likes

Caviar lentils with smoked Portuguese-style sausage. Sauteed fresh fennel, shallots, carrots and radishes, added in sausage, deglazed with dry vermouth, added fresh thyme, let that simmer down a little. Mixed in lightly salted lentils, and made a dijon (with garlic and shallots) vinaigrette for the romaine lettuce underneath. Sliced HBE and half an avo, feta, more shallots, and parsley to finish. Parsley butter potatoes on the side - I always forget how delicious and homey that simple prep is. But, oh la la, the lentils and sausage! an old favorite with a few twists.

25 Likes

Dinner last night with my eldest very pregnant daughter and SIL. Bbq’d and applewood smoked pork tenderloins coated with Dijon mustard and black pepper. Salad with blueberries, strawberries and poppyseed dressing, baked sweet potato wedges with cilantro sauce.

23 Likes

Egg Foo Yong with shrimp, cabbage and scallions. Steamed rice. Chile crisp on the side.

25 Likes

Salisbury steak, mushroom gravy, green beans with bacon and onion. Salad of mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, onion and creamy Greek dressing.

22 Likes

Too soon for another Greek Night? I feel like we do this once a month. We started out with warmed olives and almonds, pita bread, seasoned olive oil, and Trader Joe’s stuffed grape leaves.

Main course was pastitsio, from my mom’s recipe from the 1980’s that was published in the Staten Island Advance. While it tasted great, I left it in the oven a bit too long. The bechamel coating was crispy rather than fluffy :expressionless:. I topped it with shaved Asiago-- not traditional but had it on hand.

To drink, I had a chilled Ouzo, served in a tall glass packed with ice.

27 Likes

Forgot to say howdy, here from CH. happy to find a new place to share!

Just me for dinner tonight and I made a half recipe of a Cheddar ham soup from Taste of Home. Tasty! Leftover salad on the side from last night.

29 Likes

Asian inspired stew with baked tofu, butternut squash, bok choy, eggplant, green curry paste, garlic, ginger, chili, makrut lime leaves, lime juice, coconut milk, vegetable broth and thai basil

13 Likes

Hey, it’s my first What’s for Dinner contribution and I’m here with a crummy photo of mine:

Martha Rose Schulman’s recipe for pureed zucchini soup with curry and a fennel/blood orange salad with parsley, mint, and lemon on the side. And despite my best efforts to eat light I felt like I needed a cornbread muffin in there, too.

24 Likes

IMO it’s never too soon (or too late!) for another Greek night :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Looking good! Glad you decided to post. I am a fan of Martha Rose Schulman’s recipes because vegetables play the starring role.

4 Likes

Great to have you with us!

Welcome! Nice meal.

1 Like

Likewise! I followed her Recipes for Health column for years in the Times and picked up one of her books a few years ago (Mediterranean Harvest). She’s my favorite of the Times collection of author.

1 Like

Welcome to HO AND the Crumby picture club!! I’m not only a member but the President too! (Oh wait, never mind Thats my hair club)

5 Likes

A rare visit to WFD for me (and, no, I still don’t do photos of dinners at Casa Harters) - I was curious to see how the newcomers were settling in.

We’ve been running down the old decrepit freezer prior to the delivery of a new one (came this afternoon). What was left of the protein is on holiday in the SiL’s freezer till tomorrow when the new beast will be properly powered up.

We’ve got arancini and a Norma sauce for pasta for tonight. Both from the last of the stuff in the brown gloop drawer and just need warming up. Last night, it was Middle Eastern. Small chunks of leftover roast lamb (also from the brown gloop) drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled heavily with baharat and warmed through (and crisped up a tad) in the frying pan. Alongside I made houmous (cheat’s version using tinned chickpeas). Salad - Little Gem lettuce, cucumber, carrot. Khobez flatbreads were also in the freezer. And assorted jars of pickles, etc - olives, mixed Iraqi torshi, pickled turnip, Iranian baby cucumber. And a blisteringly hot bottled chilli & garlic sauce from the Asian supermaket.

And, yes, I overate and needed a lie down in front of the TV

25 Likes