Survey for my New Jersey Friends

I never cared too much for Chowhound. But that’s where I learned about “National Wholesale Liquidators” in Lodi which has a food section upstairs where the aisles are different countries and what not. So I definitely have thanks for the person who posted that. I go there once or twice a year (it’s over an hour drive for me). If you go there, definitely check the dates on what you buy. I wish they would expand that bigger… like cut into some of the clothing and have more international foods.

There’s a supermarket in Ohio called Jungle Jim’s. They have two locations. The bigger one is like 300,000 square foot. Size of a Home Depot with all food. Aisles are different countries as well. I try to make it out there every few years.

As for food, I frequent Roadfood.com and here. I review on Yelp! and I’m a Local Guide on Google Maps, although I’m not sure I may delete my reviews on one or the other or both. I’m currently deciding if I care or not to keep them.

I’ve lived in New Jersey all my life. My other house is in Hawaii on The Big Island (okay okay not totally my house, my Mom has a 4 bedroom house there). I love New Jersey aside from the high cost of living.

I grew up in Somerset County, currently reside in Ocean County. If there’s one place I’d like to live is Somerset or Middlesex County because there’s no Texas Weiner restaurants down here.

I currently am living with a relative, having been in a 4 year relationship previously. I don’t mind being single, but I definitely miss going to dinner with someone or short day trips.

1 Like

Another one I didn’t realize was from Jersey!!!

Why don’t you review on here as well?

How often do you make it to see mom? That’s a pretty awesome place to have to go to visit your parent(s)!!
What about Jojo’s hot dog’s on Rt. 37 East in Toms River? It’s been a long time since I’ve been there, but that use to be the go-to spot for hot dogs in the area.

Forgot to mention how I got here. Been using CH cause yelp was completely useless besides contact info and pictures. I’ve heard it went through a “demise” a few years back but wasn’t sure what that was about as I only used it on occasion. JoonJoon connected me with this fantastic site (thanks Joon!!) not too long ago and I’ve been very impressed.

Sounds like it was a fun trip! For Maine, we love not only the lobster shacks but the uni, oysters, ankimo, popovers (before management change), homemade pies (best blueberry pie at Dot’s bakery in Round Pond), farm to table, and their creative Asian dishes (love Eventide). Extremely underrated state for fantastic food. Instead of going to a Japanese grocery we usually get a lot of seaweed products from Maine. Some whole foods carry them.

2 Likes

Yes, there is this feature. But it seems that only Chemicalkinetics knows how to use it.

Interesting…is there a link to show people how to use it? If you want to tell us, that would be neat :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think so, I’m looking it up, wait…

Here it is:

Thank you for the compliment sir! Not even my wife was a fan lol. :joy: This is indeed a cool forum and some great people are managing it. Spread the word!

1 Like

Heirloom has been open for a couple of years as a cooking school, but only started doing dinner service Friday, Saturday and Sunday around Nov/December. If you go, post about it. Would love to hear what you think. We have been 3 times and I can’t wait to return!

1 Like

And we go to neither of those in that strip mall, but to Thai Thai.

Things have changed since we lived in Maine (1953-1958). Back then even Bangor was near the edge of beyond. My mother, raised in New York, thought she had moved to the ends of the earth. Then we moved to Rantoul, Illinous, and she knew she had moved to the ends of the earth!

We did eat a lot of lobster in Maine, though.

1 Like

I too am a refugee from Chowhound. I’ve lived in southeastern Monmouth County my whole life, with the exception of living in Germany for five years as a kid.

I love eating out, and trying new foods. I also am an enthusiastic home cook and baker, hence my name!

I too lurk more than I post. I love reading people’s opinions on all topics!

1 Like

Actually I’ve been to Thai Thai a couple of times, while I’m not a Thai “expert” I will say it was always very good AND a very nice atmosphere for a Thai restaurant.

Wow @heidicooksandbakes another surprise Jersey girl!! I had no idea you were from NJ!! Thanks for posting and sharing!!

1 Like

Wow. What a lot of diversity in experiences on this board! I grew up upstate New York. Went to college in NJ and ended up staying. I’ve lived in north and south Jersey and, as mentioned, live in Monmouth county now. Though I’ve lived in NJ more than half my life now I am not sure I will ever be from Jersey.

I am constantly amazed by the depth and breadth of knowledge here. And by how often you eat out!!!

1 Like

Yes, most of what I’ve listed is fairly recent relatively speaking. The guy who started the uni business came from a small countryside town in Japan to go through college here, picked up a business degree I believe, moved to Maine to harvest and sell what locals considered “ocean trash” as urchins were a nuance for divers. They flat out ridiculed him for years until he made so much money selling them to Japan. I don’t think they thought much of other people’s traditions (and market) back then. I used to think Santa Barbara uni was the best US uni till I tried their uni in Maine. Much more complex flavor even if somewhat less sweet and smaller in size.

Gotta check out sripraphai in Woodside, queens. Very close to the subway stop. You’ll instantly gain an understanding of what real Thai could be. Ask them what’re the typical dishes in Thailand and to bring it to you the way they’d spice it (avoid pad Thai, pad see yew, and the like so you can explore). You’ll notice three very distinct flavors moving in and out at the same time which is very unique to their food. I’d also caution by saying “hold onto your butts.” It can get pretty spicy

Another CH Refugee here. (Actually went to college with one of the guys that started it!)
Born & Raised in NJ, I used to travel extensively around the world for work to Europe, Asia, and Middle East. Now more settled in Cranbury NJ (Hence my handle). I’ve been a bit of a lurker lately, but enjoying this site immensely.

1 Like

I was born a poor bla… (hopefully some of you will get that movie reference!) :grin:

My first foray with an online food board was as a lurker on eGullet a zillion years ago; then I dove in as a regular participant. After that, I made the jump to Chowhound, but never had the same kind of fun there, and as the site changed, got downright turned off by it.

I’ve spent the majority of my life in NNJ and made the jump to Eastern Monmouth about 18 months ago and couldn’t be happier about living at the beach. As I like to say, I’m a Jersey Girl, but not that kind…

Thanks to eG and CH, I’ve made legit offline friends (any of you remember the guy and his partner who were looking for a space for Amazing Hot Dog back in…2006? Still friends!) and learned about a lot of different types of foods that I’d never been exposed to. VERY happy to help make more HOs and as some of you know, I easily accept the role of Julie McCoy/cruise director and plan some outings. I fully believe that being at the table together in person forges a better board online!

2 Likes

Very new here and still figuring out the tools. I have never heard of Chowhound but it appears I missed out on the good years anyway.

I am NJ born and raised. Union county until married then we headed for Monmouth county. Raised our kid here. My wife is a great cook and baker. Experiments all…the…time and makes a mean cocktail. I do most of the restaurant hunting which led me to Hungry Onion.

You all sound like good friends and a very welcoming crowd. I wish I had more time to participate.

3 Likes

Hey Dan and Welcome!!! Just out of curiosity with the above statement does that mean Google brought you to us? If you don’t mind clarifying I appreciate it.

As long as we’re at it, what are some of your local favorites?