Corona dining Houston

I could sniff it in the air, closings, so Monday I hit Luby’s for a rectangular fish fix. There for 45 minutes all was right, they were out of fish and had to fry a fresh batch, good and hot.

My buddy Esmirelda had my preferred table cleared and gave her extra tip money. Yes I tip at Luby’s mainly because Esmirelda takes such good care of me.

Fast forward to Tuesday

Everything shutdown except take-out and drive-thru. I went to Antonio’s on Hillcroft and got there around 2 and got a couple sausage pizzas, good stuff.

You wait in the parking lot and they bring it to you. I called ahead and picked it up. I want to support local businesses before things get crazy and we do have plenty of food at home.

2 Likes

Hit the Demeris drive-thru today for stellar chopped beef and a few spare ribs. Left a nice tip.

Were there many others getting take out on your various excursions this week?

1 Like

Monday Luby’s was open I got there around 2 and I’ll say traffic was average.

Tuesday at Antonio’s 2 pm there were four cars in the parking lot waiting for orders. Often at that time there is nobody in the restaurant.

Thursday 4 pm at Demeris and the nice take out lady said they were busy at lunch but traffic was down.

Let me say this about that. I’m ramping down public outings and we’ll be pretty much feeding at home. I rolled the dice for good takeout before everything gets shutdown.

1 Like

Good job, Senior and Senora Oyster. Things are not looking up. Even if this thing is complete hysteria, our world has already changed dramatically, and all those eateries we loved and have talked about all these years on this and other sites are doomed. Restaurants can’t be closed for weeks or months and magically re-open.

Obviously, this is also the end of most other industries. May it all be a hoax and we all rise from the ashes. I wish you all well. Stay well fed and close to those you love. Mary (I once had a little lamb)

2 Likes

Just to get the Wifeacita and myself out we went trolling for trains and saw three nice ones thank you. The railroads are still running and don’t underestimate the amount of freight they deliver to your life on a daily basis.

Our journey took us down Washington Avenue and past El Tiempo with a sign rita’s and fajitas to go. Please, we’re not gonna stop?

They have rita’s at 15 bucks for a 16 oz and 99 buckos for a gallon. The fajitas at 19.99 are enough to feed two.

The guy in front got two gallons and a box of food and just shrugged his shoulders at the cost.

We’re in hoarder mode and ordered twelve dozen gallons of margaritas and charged it to a credit card number we lifted from some not doobie something guy.

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

This afternoon someone told me that the drinks to go has been rescinded and that only closed bottles like wine and beer can be purchased. I was hoping that was not the case because I still want to go to los Tios and get some of their margaritas. It’s just been too cold and dreary today.

1 Like

I can maybe save you a gallon of margaritas for three Benjamin’s, friend price of course.

I don’t apologize to the easily offended. It’s gallows humor and wish everybody the best.

1 Like

Did they have frozen ritas?

1 Like

Nope. They come out cold with industrial strength packing tape sealing them in plastic cups.

The Wifeacita got some extra ice.

They do allow you to use the restrooms and they have multiple choices of hand cleansers.

1 Like

No frozen but the to go product was very good.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up.

I was able to cancel the charges on my card.

And speaking of charges, the next time you use my credit card to fund your party - and don’t invite ME - I’ll be pressing them!

:smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah but we still have the ritas, or what’s left of them.

The Laurenzos are going to come down hard on you.:sunglasses:

1 Like

Our twenty bucks for fajitas for one got us four good servings done deliciously El Tiempo style with all the sides.

The ritas are pricey and strong como siempre. Hey, any port in a storm.

2 Likes

I think I’ll drive through Lopez and get their family pack (only item for sale now) and some of their margs by the quart/gallon. They are calling today Margarita Monday!

3 Likes

I decided to stay closer to home.

3 Likes

How is everyone faring?

Second take-out of the quarantine today was Himalaya.

Lamb Vindaloo
Chicken Hara Masala
Saag Paneer
Rocket Naan
Some freebies from Kaiser: Samosas and his wonderful Magic Mustard Sauce that he serves with his Hunter’s Beef, which is actually Indian spiced corned beef, shredded and griddled on the flat top until crispy. As I recall, Bourdain loved that dish.

https://cdn.hungryonion.org/original/3X/7/b/7b666e904785655ec5f8b9ff6cfe4e3907e19626.mp4

2 Likes

Do you want the truth?

Not good.

The Wifeacita after several phone conversations with our doctor is assuming she has the corona.

She works for the health department and in their infinite wisdom she was sent to a city center where a thousand second graders were having their teeth looked at in mid March second week. She was crowd control and started seeing symptons a week later.

This was the week the rodeo was canceled on a Wednesday but they were sent back out on Thursday to soldier on. Friday HISD canceled classes and she was sent back to work.

I told her the stupid ass city was trying to kill both of us.

Today she calls in at work and was promptly bitched at by her beeatch supervisor because she had type a flu, we both had flu shots last year, in in January with a note from a positive test despite stern orders from our great doctor not to go to work.

I/we are so pissed. She had some choice words for the city but I came on one from the film Office Space, cock gobblers, she even used it with our doctor. The doctor says he will take care of the city.

She seems a little better but the evening fever hasn’t ramped up yet.

From the doctor:

DO NOT go to the ER unless you have severe breathing problems because of all the sickness and you may get worse. They will cut you loose unless you need a ventilator

No Advil only Tylenol for fever

No testing because the results will take too long plus he thinks it’s running it’s course in her

Any other questions please ask as I have some extra insight.

5 Likes

Oh my gosh I’m so sorry to hear this! I hope she feels better soon and it seems like she is pushing through at this point. I feel so bad for her. I was just talking yesterday with Mr. Lamb about how much business the lawyers are going to get out of this virus. Y’all take care and keep us updated, let us know when she fully recovers.

3 Likes