Zuni Cookbook; Chicken and Bread salad

So much work- that’s why I’ve never made it.

1 Like

I think it’s worth it. You can do most of it in advance, while the chicken is roasting. It’s one of my favorite dishes.

4 Likes

I love the dish, but only made it once as per the recipe. I also found it fiddly, despite the rewards. Now I do a deconstructed version:

Pan-roast some chicken thighs. Several minutes before they’re done, scooch them over in the pan and throw in some freshly cut bread croutons. Toss them around in the fat and toast them in the oven as the chicken finishes. Leave the croutons in the pan/oven to finish toasting while the thighs rest a few minutes. Make a green salad with dried currants or cranberries. Make a vinaigrette using any leftover chicken fat in the pan. Toss the now schmaltzy-toasty croutons with the salad and vinaigrette, and serve with the thighs.

11 Likes

Unfortunately, this recipe reads much more complicated that it needs be or really is. You just read through it a half dozen times, then do it. Suggested quantities are not biblical writ. A handful more bread, or extra slug of olive oil or chicken jus and it will still be just fine. Judy was just trying to hold our hand throughout the process. Let it go and try to remember the basic concept. Toasted uncrusted bread anointed with good olive oil and chicken drippings/jus/broth. The rest is pretty simple.

7 Likes

I agree that if you make it several times (and not five years between each), and read and re-read the recipe it’s not as complicated as it sounds. But I did enjoy comparing my feelings about it last night to those 10+ years ago.

I also read it the book differently this time; perhaps appreciating the lessons more than the recipe.

3 Likes

12 Likes
4 Likes

Normally I eschew CI’s (dogmatic) recipes, but this one makes a lot of sense. I watched this TV presentation and neglected to snatch the instructions, which too need to be followed rather closely. Thanks for posting it.

5 Likes

If CI means Cooks Illustrated, I’m sure you know the original recipe wasn’t. This was originally from the Zuni Cookbook, and the streamlined take from CI. The streamlined take makes sense?

I must admit I don’t recall what I thought about the CI version when I posted it 2 weeks ago, but I like it today!

2 Likes

I’ve, seen this recipe a million times. The hot oven. The turning of the chicken . The bread salad. Truthfully it depends upon the chicken you prepared , plus the way your oven cooks . It’s a nice recipe. Will I try to make it . Probably not . It’s a nice recipe though.

1 Like

No, I realized that the Cook’s process, like most of their features, was a revision of another, in this case Rogers’.

2 Likes

I’ve made the original Zuni recipe many times. And I usually don’t like chicken. It’s hard to find the smaller chickens Rodgers specified. I do think this streamlined process makes sense but I haven’t tried it yet (and with 4 lb chicken). I will keep the pine nuts through, because I love the flavor in addition to the crunch. I streamlined the Rodgers’ instructions after the first time to do more in advance and combine a few steps. I will definitely try this (and remember to cancel my “trial” subscription in 13 days so I don’t get charged!).

4 Likes

Here’s my take on the Zuni Café dish.

Dinner in about 45 minutes. Our pet name for it is Chicken Fat Salad.

Also posted to WFD.

13 Likes

Beautiful!

I’d love to here your strategy for things that work in advance. Sister and I ended up doing it over two days, not counting the dry brine. Son offered In and Out and we were all in!

1 Like
2 Likes

I followed some of the chicken prep. Herbs under the skin. Roasted hotter than usual for me (390 F tonight- any hotter and the fat splatters leading to smoke and mess) but not as hot as the Zuni recipe . Nice crispy skin and very juicy chicken.

Didn’t do the bread salad part- didn’t have the other ingredients.

Simpler salad.

7 Likes

“smoke and mess” = my cooking. To Architectural Digest, walk on by.

3 Likes

I agree about a hot oven - chicken grease creates a spattery smokey mess. I’m not one to use self clean anymore than I have to.

1 Like