Zingerman's "But, as Mike Tyson once famously said, Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth.”

Zingerman’s “Looking to the Past to Prepare for the Future”

I like Zingerman’s, although I’ve considered it an indulgence for fo.ks who lived where shipping a particular item made sense.

1 Like

Thanks for that link, a good read.

Back in the pre/early Internet days, I used to drool over their catalog, but between their prices and living in NYC where so much “gourmet”/specialty food has always been available (and Zingermann’s prices made even the original Balducci’s seem less painful than it usually felt :wink:), I never actually got around to ordering anything from them…

1 Like

Yeah…doesn’t make sense to ship pastrami to New York. My mom took me to some great places in the `7O’s.

Zabar’s was better than Baskin Robbins to me!

I thought of shipping pastrami here to No California MANY times, but decided to learn how to make it instead. I LOVE pastrami!

3 Likes

One of the few times I’ve ever had pastrami shipped ever is when I had some shipped to my daughter in art school near Los Angeles for her birthday last year. Now I’m thinking about sending some to myself.

https://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Speaking of LA, Jonathan Gold apparently said Langer’s is better.

2 Likes

I lived in LA for a while and I visit often. Langers makes a nice sandwich.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post, @shrinkrap. Zingerman’s is just down the road from us. Well, 40 miles down the road… :thinking:

No attraction to make the drive after first seeing the pricing. Decades ago. Corporate elitist arrogance is another deal killer for me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that about Zingermans. They use good ingredients, their products are great, and they pay their employees living wages, and have a famously collaborative culture. That’s a business worth supporting

5 Likes

Point taken.

1 Like

Langer’s rulz. The pastrami is excellent, but it’s the wonderful double baked bread that gives them the edge.

My friend who moved to Colorado has Langer’s shipped, lol.

P.S. I :heart: your avatar @seal. I wake up most mornings with my black cat Cleopatra draped over my shoulder.

4 Likes

Agreed, Zingerman’s very pricey. Ordered for 1st time this past week since I wanted to get some sale priced vinegars. While shopping, also got bucatini, oil packed tuna, and a couple other things, because Covid QT. On a whim, ordered a pound of pastrami - need to know what the good stuff tastes like! Around here it’s Boar’s Head, pretty much.

Most probably a one time shop, can’t wait to get back to hunter-gatherer mode.

Good to know about Langer’s though, just in case.

Forgot about @shrinkrap‘s pastrami. Do you ship @shrinkrap? :joy_cat:

1 Like

@Lambchop, when I get it right, I don’t even share!

2 Likes

Spoken by a woman after my own heart @shrinkrap :joy_cat::joy: At least I can reference your work on the Pastrami thread, and create our own - that would rock! Also need to set the bar higher than Boar’s Head, thus the Zingerman’s indulgent treat.

1 Like

Zingerman’s stuff is absurdly priced. I’ve seen certain branded products at much cheaper prices both in NYC and here in the Bay Area, not exactly affordable locales.