Ziggy Does Paris - The Report

First, sorry about the title. I wanted something I can easily find :wink:
We had an amazing 7 days of eating, mixing in all sorts of experiences, including the touristy. A few regrets here and there, including with the dishes we ordered, but overall happy with the result. Many thanks to the contributors here. I’ll try to do this quick, but will prob need a few days. By order of visit.

L’Aubergeade

First meal turned out to be one of our favorites of the trip. Many thanks to Parn for the recco. A rustic old bistro packed with locals. Older twins easily handled the entire house, running around like teenagers. One thing that was so glaring in most places in Paris as in so many other cities, we saw half the number of employees as in similar establishments in NYC. No busboys, no hostesses, no lack of hassle.

Started with a silky smooth, buttery Foie Gras with clementine jam. Escargot was perfectly garlicky and well balanced. Just like we like them

The deconstructed steak tartare was more deconstructed than I anticipated with all the ingredients including sauces on the table, but after mixing it up with some adjustments I think I’m ready for a chef de Tartare at Granite. Not sure I prefer it this way but enjoyed it.

Leg of lamb with couscous was masterfully cooked. Extreme tenderness and flavor packed. Finished with a nice “Norwegian Omelet”, a new one for us. Essentially a baked Alaska. FlambĂ©ed ultra light, fluffy, with an ice cream surprise inside.

Great value as well. 88 euros including a house white. Great start

16 Likes

Granite

Amazing lunch. Turned out to be our only Michelin of the trip so opted for the full Granite experience (175 pp). Roughly 15-20 or so dishes by the end of it. As expected friendly and efficient service, but it was hard to understand the description of each dish as the accents were quite strong. But the flavors did much of the talking.

We both concluded that the weakest links, but certainty not weak, were probably the meat courses. The seared Wagyu was slightly over salted and out-staged in a not so bad way by the rest of the ingredients. Similarly but not so, the lamb was overpowered by the sharp sauces, although it was probably the prettiest dish of the bunch.

The triumph may have been the “tomato” that was anything but just a tomato of course. It was a “welcome to a Michelin star in Paris tomato. A flavor symphony with each morsel. The crab was another memorable one, inside what looked like a galette taco Another noteworthy one was the Chocolate with currant. Desserts rarely excite me. This was pure magic.

Had a nice chat with young Tom Meyer about his trip to NYC among other things. I got the sense that Michelin is very respected and cherished even while traveling abroad. He gave me a hot tip on a place that will open next month on the upper west side. Nice down to earth guy.

16 Likes

Giorgio

Light meal after a big lunch. This is of course part of the Pink Mamma group. Good beer selection even though some were not available. Fine Neapolitan. Not the most balanced. Could have used more tomato and less cheese. Still worth it for beer and pizza, and the disco toilet.

15 Likes

Thanks @Ziggy, I also loved my meal at Granite, and chatted throughout with M. Meyer. You’ll have to share your UWS 411! :wink:

I guess it was too hot for me to handle. I cant find the card he gave me :slight_smile: . Though I’m now thinking it was Essential by Christophe which opened last Dec. Maybe he meant last November.
Anyway unless something opens next month that fits the description, lets say it’s Essential. The way he described it, its “on the cusp”

Parcelles

Another exceptional lunch. Managed to snag a table at the only time available during the week. Two young guys ran the house. They managed but unlike with the twins at L’Aubergeade you could feel some of that stress in the room. Coupled with the fact that you are pretty much surrounded by FOMO Americans, some of which had a very hard time with the menu, perhaps not the best ambiance on this day. But the food more than made up for it.

Calf’s head carpaccio was outstanding. I liked it more than her, but she was too busy with the excellent PatĂ© en croute special to care.

Sweetbread - This! This is the reason to come IMO. Whether you like sweetbread or not is almost irrelevant. We dont normally order it but really liked this. With that mashed potato, dark veal jus and capers, a spoonful of pure bliss. Surprised to learn that they only make 10 of them a day. Some call to reserve it for dinner.

The monkfish was cooked well but relied a little too much on the sauce IMO. Fine dish nonetheless. Chocolate tart with caramelized pecans was another standout. I would come back just for this. Special thanks to Nina for the push.

14 Likes

Paul Bert

Moving on to the controversial pick. I feel like this is the kind of touristy that people either love or love to hate. But with all the hate it’s still seemed like a place for a respectable steak au poivre. Besides a good but borderline too sweet Grand Marnier SoufflĂ©s, steak was all we had here.

The steak was fine but could not be cooked to my liking unless I made a mistake. I requested “a Point” and she requested medium in English. The waiter mumbled something that prompted me to ask if mine will be closer to rare or medium. He said medium and what I got was indeed a solid medium. I came to France thinking “a Point" is closest to our med-rare, but this and another experience got me thinking its closer to medium. And I get the sense that at Paul Bert they only cook it rare or medium. Not the best quality meat of the trip either, but the stellar sauce saved it. Very peppery and just the right consistency.

8 Likes

Le Petite Vendome

A hidden old gem among the Guccis and the Louis. I dont know if I hit Jambon Beurre royalty, or this is just how its supposed to taste like, but this was awesome. One classic, and one with quality black pepper and goat cheese. Just my kind of old school at a price of less than half of some of the other notables i was reading about with the long lines. You can have them only at the bar or takeout. Nice atmosphere, music, and fun happy waiters even when super busy

13 Likes

Blanca

If there’s one tip I can give back to this board, this is probably it. Though last day lunch isnt far behind.
This is a tiny Argentinian in the 11er with a lot of soul. We were the only tourists there confirmed by our waitress. It’s time to change that :slight_smile: . On top of the great food, live music every Wednesday. A very talented young multilingual singer. He plays guitar and other instruments with his mouth. Like I said, very talented.

Started with shishitos with a light creamy guac that worked very well together, and cheese empanadas that tasted much better than they looked. Some of the better quality bread too. Owner/chef Violetta has friends in high places including baker Thierry Breton (the other one) and his famous bread

Argentinian EntrecĂŽte was superb. Unlike at Paul Bert cooked to med-rare perfection, and packed with flavor. Cheaper too. I hesitated to put anything on it because it was so good but after trying I happily poured the homemade vinegary chimichurri and black pepper.

Also enjoyed the chicken. We got it by mistake after ordering the monkfish (so many menus with monkfish) but once we saw it we opted to keep it. Expertly cooked, super moist, with morels and mashed squash if I recall. Finished with a nice, light flan with caramel. A flawless meal helped by the super friendly Mexican waitress. Washed it down with a nice Argentinian Cabernet. Go!

13 Likes

Thanks. Great pictures and great comments. Bianca looks like a winner-if I can ever get up the energy to fly from Calif to Europe again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

First, thanks for the great report!

You described my issue with Parcelles better than I did, or even was able to do for myself. The sweetbreads are phenomenal, and I was thinking I’d probably return just for them.

But at my lunch the service was unenjoyable, and you helped me realize that my issue with the service was that they didn’t feel like they were there to welcome me, but rather that we as customers were an imposition on them (and FWIW while there were certainly some other Americans there when we were, it didn’t seem like a majority to me), as you see sometimes at popular mid-tier places in the U.S. Your write-up makes me suspect the service issues may not be just a one-off.

There are enough other restaurants in Paris with great / very good / good service, where in all cases they genuinely seem to be at least trying to deliver pleasant service that it doesn’t make sense for me to subject myself to one that didn’t seem to even be trying to be “pleasant”. And I want to be clear that I am not referring to friendly or personable here, merely pleasant, which roughly equals at least “correct”. If most “correct” service is not actively “friendly”, it is rarely actively unpleasant.

When I got bad service at Bistrot Paul Bert the one time we went, it was so obviously bad, it was an easy call to say “never again”. Our service at Parcelles was not that. But looking back, it’s clear that they made little to no effort to be pleasant. I’ll just have to find great sweetbreads elsewhere.

As always, YMMV.

4 Likes

Perception

Yes, this was good. Elegant, seemingly mostly local business clientele. Talented Korean chef adds subtle Korean touches. We opted for the 5 courser for a very pleasant 90 minute lunch. We really liked the flow of the flavors.

The amuse bouches of tuna and something that looked like beef macarons were like little umami bombs. Bread with black sesame butter was addictive. Other highlights were the stuffed cabbage (ratatouille moment for Mrs Z), the delicate whiting (quite a looker too), and BBQ pork cooked three ways. The pear and caramel dessert was right up my alley as well. No complaints here.

10 Likes

Our service for dinner at Parcelles was good although the sommelier got in a diss about Calif wines when we told her we were from Calif, but it was all in fun (I think). Probably more Americans because we had the early seating but it was definitely a mixed cultural bag.

1 Like

He is not wrong (even though it is obviously difficult to generalize)

Grande Brasserie

Enjoyed this one too. We really didnt have a bad meal, just some better, or more memorable than others. This was good but not without some ordering regrets. Initial plan was Pianovins but by this point we wanted to fit in one more traditional. Attractive room(s), packed with tourists as was expected for trad near Place de la Bastille I suppose. Really great service by a fun, young girl.

Started with the award winning egg mayonnaise. Although a bit one note, good and comforting. It’s a classic that I’ve had in Eastern European restaurants but not in French I don’t believe, or remember. It was served on a creamy “I can’t believe it’s not pasta” celery root (celeriac) salad. Escargot not as garlicky as the one at L’Aubergeade, but enjoyable nonetheless. Its actually a relatively new item here.

Beef tartare exactly what you’d expect from a place like this. Just about all tartares weve seen in Paris were hand chopped, but not nearly as good as in Italy. Another good Au Poivre. This time a cut I’m not too familiar called Merlan, presumably called as such because it looks like the other Merlan (Whiting). Unlike at Paul Bert this was cooked perfectly and the meat is very tender and top notch. It just doesn’t look as pretty as PB, and the sauce was more like a thin gravy, not nearly as peppery as PB. Combine PB’s sauce with this cut and you got a winner.

Finished with just about the best Profiteroles I ever had. Enjoyed this one, but by the end of it was regretting we didn’t order the lamb shoulder for two after seeing it being paraded.

12 Likes

He was a she and I don’t agree. But to each his/her own. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Great reports. Yes, the lamb is really worth getting at Grande Brasserie.

that looks like canotto, not that easy to make. if you don’t mind, what are the toppings on the second pie?

Canotto? The only “Canotto” (boat) I know is the boat shaped pastry at Sullivan st Bakery.

The top is basil pesto cream, mozzarella fior di latte, candied tomatoes, stracciatella, toasted pine nuts, Parmigiano Regiano

The bottom is Tomato, Mozzarella fior di latte, Salame piccante, Caramelized onions (we asked to skip), Ricotta cream, Basil

1 Like

Arrrrrrrgghhhh.

I mean thank you.