Zhang's Grille has bitten the dust [NJ]

Didnt long horn used to be there at some point?

Coupons!!!

https://www.valpak.com/coupons/printable/peters-crab-and-steakhouse/169124

1 Like

Leave my wife out of this please.

2 Likes

Before Texas Roadhouse, it was Asahi (Japanese) and before that Macaroni Grill (for a long time). Between Asahi and TRH the building was torn down and rebuilt from scratch.

We both like TRH (I find the 6-ounce sirloin the perfect size, which tells you why I’m not big on all-you-can-eat places), but the fact that it is not open for lunch during the week is a drawback for us.

1 Like

Yes, it was Macaroni Grill for a long time. When they first opened they would place a gallon jug of their house wine on your table (table cloth topped with white paper) give you a crayon and tell you the wine was the “honor system”. You were to place a line in front of yourself for every glass you poured. I’m pretty sure I single-handedly ended that policy. That jug would be gone, and I would only have 1 line in front of me!?!?!??! How that ever happened every time I went there I will never know!!! (after about a year they stopped that but I think it was a liquor law consequence because of a-holes like me abusing it)

3 Likes

I remember Macaroni Grill! And that policy.

That place was a childhood favorite. I can still smell and taste the focaccia.

The one thing I did not like was that singer they had who would wander the place with a song list hoping people would flag him down for a song and give him a tip. He was not very good and he was there FOR YEARS!

I was nostalgically upset when they closed. They were much better than Bertucci’s.

1 Like

From a facebook post

Less than pleased, Linguine and clams was bland no garlic or parsley or salt. I had mussels in a garlic butter sauce . The mussels were not cleaned very well,still had beards attached.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1253593868015823/permalink/3114995485208976/

1 Like

Another problem with the Macaroni Grill wine policy was that people often tend to top off partly full glasses, and how do you track that? I could see if they went by volume decreased, but that’s more complex than they wanted to do.

There’s been a few other doozies floating around social media including one post that said they didn’t actually carry half the items listed on their menu. But the comment was vague and there was no elaboration.

I’ll stop there in keeping with @NotJrvedivici’s post, because once we get rolling here, it won’t stop.

Listen, if these are fact based by actual experience(s) then feel free to post about them. I just thought the repetitive posts about the pics was getting redundant without any actual reviews.

1 Like

You heard the man! Let’s see some legit reviews, well as legit as fb can get

So who is going to take one for the team? Remember I tried the original Zhang’s so I think I get a pass on this (prior to Greg joining but after reading his glowing review)

1 Like

SO I admit i was among worst offenders and totally agree with jr’s decision re no more shitting on this place with no visits. However this fb post Bossanova linked to above was too meta not to share and relevant due to it containing an actual review. With that I promise no more posts for me on this thread unless it involves an actual review

2 Likes

Oh. My. We are all being punked.

2 Likes

This is epic.

2 Likes

(Me)
No comment

Moderators Hat On
Well I tried

4 Likes

I’ve worked in restaurants and although you may get some food during a Friday or Saturday, you still have things to serve. Make a few specials to serve that night to move what you need to. Something smells fishy.

1 Like

Sorry I know I was a main offender and want to follow what you asked. I just couldn’t help myself. And it does relate to a review!! I promise no more from me

3 Likes

More coupons

https://www.localflavor.com/b/LdL/c/Q5OR

If I wasn’t trying to watch my spending right now, I would take one for the team.

Maybe I’ll play some scratch-offs. If I win a hundred bucks, I’ll kiss it up to the food gods and go all out at this place.

I’m sorry. I tried to resist, but…

Someone pointed out it was probably a “pea crab” and now a second person has introduced himself as the "General Manager " of the place.

EDIT: I’m leaning that it probably was a crab of some kind, which is probably not the fault of the restaurant. However, if I ever write that NJ restaurant book, this place may be the star chapter along with Zhang’s and Pride of the Sea.

5 Likes