Your Top 3 Places at Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia PA

I also vaguely recall two vendors selling canelé at RTM. We thought the one that was sold at a produce stand was better than the one at the bakery.

Ok, I just came back from Valley Shepherd at Reading Terminal Market again. This time I ordered the Fresh Mozz Sandwich with prosciutto (Description: Our house-made fresh mozzarella (PASTRZD) on baguette with roasted Jersey tomatoes (v) )

http://meltkraft.com/locations/philly-2/philly-menu/

Wonderful Mozzarella. I will miss it after I move further away from Philly.

Anyway, I took a closer look, and you are correct. It has a cheese making room next door (when facing the store, it is on the right hand side of the store. If you are the store employee looking toward the customers, then it is on your left). It is a room with a few windows.

Maybe I am easily impressed, but I do think the Philly Reading Terminal Market as one of its highlights. Really high quality and diverse food under one roof.

Yup, that’s exactly how I remember the room, on the right side with windows for your viewing pleasure.

RTM took a while to grow on me. Our first three visits, we were following those guides and lists on Food Network and other sites. After we started taking recommendations with a grain of salt, and used some common sense, our trips were much better. Don’t go to RTM for Mac & Cheese like we did once. It’s just Mac & Cheese, and Philadelphia does great Mac & Cheese in general. If a cupcake or brownie look stale, don’t buy it. The presence of an “Amish” worker doesn’t mean what’s sold at that stand is made from scratch. (I am still learning about Amish and Mennonite, hence the quotes.) Etc.

I do feel it was easier to converse with shop owners a few years ago, though. It’s very hectic now. I’m not particularly keen on Bassett’s, but I had a great discussion once with one of the owners about why they provide water with their ice cream. Ever since that day, ice cream makes me thirsty.

Dutch Eating Place? Love their hot turkey sandwich

1 Like

Fellow wow player. Horde of course. After a bit of yummy research I prefer the beef. With that provolone and also some fried vegetables. Not that the pork sucks by any means

1 Like

I am actually a WarCraft (RTS) player. :wink: Good to know you enjoy the beef version. I have moved from East Coast to West Coast four years ago. I hope all the nice food stands are still at Reading Terminal Market.

Our one time prowling around, we had scrapple we’d order again maybe here too?

New to this website so hopefully this comment goes in the correct spot. The top 3 places at reading terminal market. I got a sweet tooth, so I love:

1. Bassett’s Chocolate milkshake
  2. Miller’s pretzels the cinnamon pretzels.
  3. The crepe place banana, strawberry, and that chocolate sauce, I forget the name.
2 Likes

I usually grab a few cookies at the cookie place near the oyster counter. TBH, I’ve found most of the food at RTM to be underwhelming, and I’ve tried several.

We actually use RT more for produce (Iovines) and meat (Giuntas, though Goodshalls and the Lancaster on the other side of Giuntas is popular, Martins for sausage). Usually pick up butter there from Riezels. There’s a number of newer vendors that we haven’t tried. For food - DiNic’s is usually popular (roast pork with long hots), Beiler’s is popular for donuts (personally prefer their pickles to the donuts), and love Millers for pretzels. Appreciate Hershel’s tip to add sriracha to macaroni salad, as they do (they have good food). Dutch eating place always has huge lines - we’re not big breakfast people so can’t properly evaluate that. Not a big fan of the fishmongers.

1 Like

Me too. I started shopping at Lovines more and more toward the end.

I have been scrolling through the intros trying to decide what to put on mine. I think I read that you are from the 'burbs of Philly. Me too. I am near the montgomery mall area and wondering if we are neighbors? Headed to Philly soon and will try to hit the RTM for lunch and maybe some goodies to bring home. I did try the lobster roll last summer but was underwhelmed. It might just be that I don’t like lobster rolls nearly as much as just plain lobster meat though. Cdc and I grabbed some falafel sandwiches for later and ended up enjoying them in a delightful setting. Frankenfield is an honor system farm stand and when we stopped to get the incredible corn grown right there in the fields the place was deserted. We were hungry and devoured our sandwiches sitting in chairs at the farm stand. Not a soul around. This was a balm after the crowds in the city.

Yup, seems we are neighbors as I too am in the Montgomery mall area. Between the COVID lockdown and some health issues I’ve been dealing with since last autumn, I haven’t been to RTM in a few years. I lived the first 40+ years of my life in Philly, so still adjusting to suburban life :sweat_smile: