Your Top 3 Places at Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia PA

Well, I will be in Phildelphia tomorrow, I will swing by and see. Based on the Facebook messages, it should still be there.

I just came back. Got myself a roast beef DiNic sandwich. Anyway, I specifically looked for Tubby Olive, and it is at the same location and it hasnā€™t moved. The Tubby Olive in Reading Terminal Market looks like this:

Is it possible that you were thinking a different kind of store?

Well since Iā€™ve only been to the Reading Market once, I can only put up one thing but its already been mentioned.

DiNicā€™s roast pork and greens with provolone is an outstanding sandwich.

Hmm, something about that looks differentā€¦was that part of the market recently renovated?

Appreciate the confirmation nonetheless - and that they still exist is a plus!

What is recently? Tubby Olive is actually a new addition to Reading Terminal Market ā€“ I want to say 2-3 years old. So if you are thinking something much older, then it could be a different store. Anyway, it is kind of fun to try some olive oils and vinegar there. I am a bit unusual. I like to try to vinegar more, and have bought two bottles from there. I havenā€™t bought any olive oil there.

First time, I just went to the Dutch Eating Place and order the cinnamon fresh toast breakfast. It is pretty good. Nothing fancy, but it is a solid home cooking meal. I like it.

1 Like

My favorite thing there is the cheese counter at the fair food farmstand.

I am usually focused on buying ingredients than dining sometimes i just get a fresh baguette and a ripe avocado. Do love Hershels and Bassets.

Today valley shepherd creamary and meltcraft caught my eye if i was hungry I thinkI would have gotten one of thier insane grilled cheeses

I left with some pa cheese a table french loaf from metropolitan and a cauliflower and zuchinni from Iovines. Had to go to a meeting so nothing too perishible or olfactory.

Depends on whether Iā€™m eating or shopping.
Eating:

1. Dinics
  2. Salumeria (turkey hoagie is awesome)
  3. 12th St. Cantina

Shopping:

1. Downtown Cheese
  2. Iovinni Produce
  3. Metropolitan
  4. Haltemanā€™s
  5. Martinā€™s (for turkey bacon and sausage)
  6. John Yee fish.

I just want to say that I have finally tried the grilled cheese sandwich from Valley Shepherd Creamery. I avoided it for sometime not because I hate grilled cheese sandwich, but rather I thought all grilled cheese sandwich is about the same. Man, was I wrong or what. It is absolutely amazing. The moment I took the first bite, I thought I discover addition taste/smell sensation.

Thanks for those of you who have promoted Valley Shepherd. I am looking forward to try it again.

1 Like

Agree about Dutch Eating Place, meh. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™ve eaten so much PA Dutch food, it just seems routine to me.

1 Like

I kind of agree too. I like the home cooking Dutch food thing, but here is a problem. I donā€™t get to go to the Reading Terminal Market place every day, and I feel I should try to eat things which are more special, or things which I have difficulty making myself.

1 Like

(Sorry if itā€™s been mentioned, searching a thread never works right for me on Hungry Onion.)

Thereā€™s a cheese place that makes their own curd. I always purchase mozzarella from there. To my knowledge, most places that have ā€œhousemadeā€ mozzarella actually buy their curd from somewhere else. I canā€™t remember for the life of me the name of the stand right now.

:slight_smile: Comā€™on. Find out for us. :grin:

1 Like

Good to know. Have you tried Meltkraft?

I am going to say Valley Shepherd Creamery. I remember there was a room next to the retail area where you could see the curds being made. The picture here looks like what I remember, so Iā€™m going with Valley Shepherd. Hope they havenā€™t moved curd-making off site.

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/merchants/109-valley-shepherd-creamery-meltkraft

1 Like

Yes, I have the store: ā€œValley Shepherd Creamery & Meltkraft Grilled Cheeseā€

Their grilled cheese sandwiches are great.

Thanks. Interestingly, I only recently shopped there for their grilled cheese sandwiches.

I went to Reading Terminal Market today. I think you are correct that it is Valley Shepherd. It has a sign like ā€œMozzarella made fresh dailyā€

Did you see what could be a curd-making room next door?

I saw a room in the back, but I feel like it is a room for a lot of other people. I see people rolling in with a cart filled with vegetablesā€¦etc. I will likely go to Reading Terminal Market again tomorrow and I willy pay attention this time.