Your pride & joy aka your best (home-cooked) dish/es

I use romas that are surplus to the farmer’s needs (he just doesn’t know they’re surplus), and can 2-3 batches (8-10 pints per batch, IIRC) every fall. Most years they last until the following fall, but about one year in four we have to buy a jar or two of commercial salsa to get us over the hump. You know you’re a really good friend if I give you a jar of salsa!

2 Likes

Man, oh man…thinking about this, I either have low standards or a high opinion of myself, because there are so many dishes I make that make me proud. I think I’m proudest of pork products that come out of my smoker: spareribs of several different flavor profiles, char siu, and pulled pork, mostly. I asked Mrs. ricepad what I make that she likes the most, and her answer was surprising to me. She really loves my salmon picatta, which I hardly think of as a recipe on account of how easy it is to make. We agreed on sushi, but I also love making tempura, which she can take or leave. And Spawn2 says that my tomato beef chow mein says “summertime at home” like no other meal.

4 Likes

Nobody said it had to be turducken or beef wellington or some super-duper involved dish. Just something you know is reliably going to taste exactly the way you like it, and everyone you serve it to loves it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine are really simple. Spatchcocked roast chicken, brisket (which i only make for holidays) and beef barley mushroom soup. I’m also (buffs nails on sweater) pretty damn good with roast beef.

And spaghetti with white clam sauce.

I can do all of these in handcuffs, if necessary. Nothing is fancy, but results are guaranteed.

7 Likes

Lobster ravioli with lobster bisque for a sauce. The whole house smells wonderful when it’s being made. It’s a lot of work, and I haven’t made it in years because of ill health.

6 Likes

I’m sorry about your health issues :frowning:

That ravioli dish sounds wonderful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dungeness crab ravioli served over butter-creamed spinach. Lot less work and equally delicious.

Yeah, I get that it’s not about complex prep or exotic ingredients, but IMO, piccata is more of a ‘throw together’ meal when I haven’t done much meal planning. I almost always have salmon filets (frozen, from Costco), lemon, capers, and butter in the house, and I sub onions for shallots when I’m out of shallots (which is most of the time).

I guess it’s not a ‘pride and joy’ meal because I don’t feel I’ve done anything to transform the ingredients or had to practice skills repeatedly over years to come up with something special. The fact that it’s one of Mrs. ricepad’s favorites is not lost on me, though, so I know it’s always going to be a winner.

1 Like

I never claimed to have reinvented the wheel when I make any of the dishes I mentioned, either.

Maybe don’t overthink it :wink:

This is where things get itchy. People love the hand cut, homegrown tomatoes, and understandably so. The crappy Romas and all aren’t worth that love. I have found some tomatoes on the vine and Kumatoes to do okay. Other times I blend the canned ones. These days, though, I’ve found that, if I make a hile based salsa, I get similar love. No fresh tomatoes, buy a bag of mini peppers or just some greens bells and combine some dried ancho and guajillos, garlic, 1 or 2 crappy winter tomatoes, one or two tomatillos, an onion, one or two hot ones (I LOVE habaneros)lime juice and cilantro, then blend it. Not as good as the fall harvest, but it’s the home fried tortilla chips that they seem to adore even more than the salsa. I have a friend for whom I make his own batch. No real tricks. Quarter tortilla shells, fry, salt, make the salsa and , just like the resto, some of your entrees might not be consumed as quickly because they’re bolting down your app.

3 Likes

My mom’s goulash. No recipe because the naked cast iron Dutch oven in which it has been made for 80+ years is ESSENTIAL. I once made it in enameled cast iron…meh.

4 Likes

What makes the dungeness ravioli much less work than lobster ravioli (assuming both pastas are made at home) ?

Bisque (couple hours plus cleanup of multiple pots/blender) vs: Spinach (10 minutes in a single pot).

When we have made lobster bisque it was about 1.5 hours of cooking and prep

When I make it from raw lobster it is 2.5+ hrs. But I take no shortcuts (clam juice, etc.), and of course a lot of that is simmering, etc., which can go unattended. It is way more work than my creamed spinach… and it is a toss up as to which I prefer.

I luv creamed spinach, and often sub it (with artichoke hearts) for asparagus in a variety of seafood Oscar dishes.

Thanks for the sympathies; it’s been a challenge for long over a decade.

The ravioli is indeed wonderful. After the lobster flesh is removed (following a brief stint in a hot oven) the shell is simmered in white wine and a bunch of aromatics, then the liquid finished with some cream. I use wonton skins for the wrapper. Prep is 2 hours for an appetizer for four. It’s consumed in a few minutes. It’s even better if the lobster has eggs :yum:

5 Likes

I’ll be over around 7pm if that’s ok :wink: :yum:

How I wish! :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

My roast turkey for Thanksgiving - get consistently good feedback on this.
My roasted whole branzino - seasoned with just salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and a bit of thyme and lemon juice. Placed under the broiler quickly for 1-2 minutes to really crisp up one side of the skin

Adding a new one to my list: wontons. I usually make decent to good wontons (I vary the ingredients a bit depending on what I have and can find on sale). The last batch I made though were fantastic, if I do say so myself. Gave a few to a friend and she loved them too. I just have to remember to make them list this from now on. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes