Your preferred pan to sear steaks in and then deglaze for a wine reduction sauce afterwards ?

Or Dehillerin, which might make more sense considering Claus is in Europe.

For example: https://www.edehillerin.fr/en/saute-pan/397-1164-dish-has-skip-copper-etame-extra-strong-with-tail-bronze.html#/175-choix_diametre_cm-24

2 Likes

Lucky you. (c; I wear bi-focals, and at the distance my eyes are from the cooktop, nothing is in perfect focus… which is why I am a fan of high contrast cooking… especially for browning butter, and clear sauces. I do use dark pans for frying and searing, I much prefer SS, or light ceramic/enamel for when I’m browning stuff (even bacon, onions, garlic, etc.).

As with anyones preference… YMMV.

2 Likes

Rocky Mountain Tetinning looks like an excellent resource. Many thanks!

I have not been there for ages, but 3mm hammered, tinned copper does not appear on their website that I can see. It may be in the basement. That pan you showed looks lovely but a little under 3mm, and for me brass handles for stovetop pans are challenging, getting so hot so fast.

1 Like

all of the sturm&drang about re-tinning is exactly why I opted for ss clad bourgeat.
live long and not need retining , , , has its bennies.

2 Likes

Tin-lined Mauviel around 3.0mm thick - brand new. For retinning in Europe, I can recommend Falk Belgium.

2 Likes

WoW - this thread is getting more and more interesting with all that talk about 3.0+ thick copper frying pans.

I’m hooked on finding a 24cm & 28cm set of new 3.0 bimetal frying pans now :stuck_out_tongue:

I have no knowledge of tin lined copper.

Would tin lined copper be a great searing pan for steaks or will the tin be too delicate for high heat searing ?

Well if it is pure tin, it melts at 450°F. But I am “guessing/hoping” these pans are tinned with an alloy that significantly increases that… but I don’t know that for sure.

1 Like

Well, both actually: thick tin lined copper is great for searing steaks but, at the same time, it’s to delicate for high heat searing. Do you want to know more ?

1 Like

No alloy. What you want to look for is the purest grade of tin.

1 Like

Yes, please.

I never used Falk but understand that that they put a brushed finish on the pan they retin which would IMO just ruin thick hammered copper.
Possible good alternatives that I know of in Europe include Atelier du cuivre, Mauviel (both in Villedieu), Lejeune (in the Paris suburb of Asnières), Newlyn tinning (in Cornwall UK), Bottega del Rame (Montepulciano, Italy). I’m sure there are other coppersmiths in Europe that do not have Internet presence but would be perfectly able and willing to retin an old pan.
A number of French sellers on Etsy seem to be using Atelier du cuivre, maybe because they’re based in the same area (Normandy) and because Atelier is less expensive than Mauviel?

3 Likes

While it melts at 450, I believe it softens at 400F. Much like you don’t need to melt steel before you can twist and turn steel.

3 Likes

Hi Claus,

At one point, I almost became a heavy tinned copper aficionado myself. I had already paid Mazzetti / Bottega del Rame, when they informed me they couldn’t actually provide the induction bottom version in high thickness. I wanted badly to become a heavy copper aficionado, but it wasn’t meant to be Claus.

These look pretty darn nice though live I believe if you want tin.

https://lnx.rameria.com/en/Frying-pans

3 Likes

I’m wondering if you two would have disparate results in the phenylthiocarbamide taste test.

(I cannot taste it, either)

2 Likes

A story about melting tin, I usually make caramel in an all-clad pan. Easy, no problems, easy wash up. TheN I read some cooking guru say to make it RIGHT IN THE CHARLOTTE CUSTARD MOLD! Well, I’m always in for less work, so I gave it a try. And melted big pustules of tin on both in and outsides of the mold, In a very short time! TIN MELTS VERY EASILY! And not all cooking gurus know of which they speak.

3 Likes

Not more than tangentially related (sorry @Claus!) but my foster father used to make the best caramel corn around. He always made the caramel sauce on the stovetop but once they got a microwave, he decided to try making it in the microwave in a regular Tupperware “microwave safe” bowl.

It was like Mount Vesuvius after a few minutes with a hotspot developing on one side and melting its way through. Unfortunately, this wasn’t noted for a couple of minutes. Took an hour to clean out the microwave of the burned on sugars.

1 Like

And a replacement tinned Charlotte is incredibly hard to find and expensive if you manage to find one. In addition to apple Charlotte I use mine for cheese soufflés, buttering the inside and dusting it with finely grated Parmigiana. So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

3 Likes

Plus its pouring lips and gorgeous handles!

So what is the moral of the story?