Your ONE favorite food in each State in the United States?

Inspired by this thread about American food wish list for future visits, how about one food you would recommend for each state in the U.S. (and maybe even the territories, like Puerto Rico), and where to get it.

EXAMPLE

• State: Food - Restaurant

• California: Double Double Cheeseburger - In N Out

What say you?

1 Like

HI = spicy garlic shrimp / Jenny’s shrimp truck / North Shore, O’ahu
NY = xxxtra hot Buffalo wings / Anchor Bar / Buffalo

2 Likes

From California, at least the Northern half;

Dungeness Crab, or Petrale sole, although I realize they are available along the North West coast. Tomales Bay oysters in Tomales Bay?

If that disqualifies it, I’m thinking a cheese ( Humboldt Fog? Mt. Tam? ) from the Sonoma dairies.

Is wine a food?

ETA My final answer;

Dungeness Crab cakes at Zuni restaurant in SF, at a table with a view of the neighborhood.
:confused:

5 Likes

Cheeseburgers:

Los Angeles – that orange stream running toward your elbow as you frantically grab for a paper towel/napkin:

Chicago – imagining John impatiently taking the same order and Dan barking it back:

1 Like

Nope.

Doesn’t have to be exclusive to the state, just your favorite food in the state you’d recommend.

1 Like

Maryland - Crab Cakes - Timbuktu Restaurant (Hanover, Md)

2 Likes

Lobster roll - Massachusetts or Maine
New England Clam Chowder - Massachusetts or Maine

2 Likes

What impressed us more at Frank and Teressa’s was the birch beer.

As for New York, we mark the ballot for this Beef on Weck:

https://www.schwabls.com/menu/

1 Like

for people who are not vegetarians
North Carolina, pork barbecue. Either Lexington or Eastern style. I personally prefer the spicy version of the vinegar sauce of Eastern NC. The Eastern NC slaw served with the barbecue isn’t mayo based but has the vinegar sauce. Hush puppies. Fried oysters are also usually fantastic.

Massachusetts: love the lobster roll with the hot butter sauce instead of mayo. That’s usually called Connecticut style but you can find it in Mass. Clam chowder with cream everywhere. Sometimes it’s great. Other times, over cooked and insipid. Same for fried whole belly clams. Usually wonderful, sometimes over cooked and too chewy.

Rhode Island: Clear Rhode Island style clam chowder. No dairy. Very clam taste I love. Also in RI, the cream style clam or scallop chowder with fresh dill.

8 Likes

Second and third on Dungeness crab! The giant clam I had in Eureka many years ago is a close second. Sonoma coast abalone of yore is in kyvtop 3.

3 Likes

New Mexico: biscochitos, huevos rancheros Christmas, stacked enchiladas Christmas
California: crab louis, artichokes
Pennsylvania: city chicken, chipped ham
Louisiana: gumbo

4 Likes

California
Crab Louie

Massachusetts
Select Oyster Bar’s hot lobster roll

New York
Balthazar’s sticky bun

Kentucky
Derby pie

Tennessee
Collard Greens with wasabi at the now defunct Capitol Grille (not the Capital Grille chain) in the Hermitage Hotel in Nashville

Georgia
Well, I haven’t been forever but I love peach cobbler

1 Like

I thought we were supposed to name a specific restaurant (?). I think otherwise I’d have a few more entries - like blue crab in MD, lobster in ME, gumbo in LA, etc. etc.

Did I misread the OP?

New Mexico, Green chili cheeseburger, Owl Cafe Albuquerque
Michigan, Pasties, roadside stands in the UP
Missouri, Burnt ends, Arthur Bryant’s KC
Oklahoma, Oklahoma Onion Burger, Tucker’s Oklahoma City
Florida, Stone Crabs, Billy’s Seafood, Hollywood FL

1 Like

No, you didn’t misread - I just didn’t post actual places, because there are too many to choose from in both states. :smiley:

But for lobster roll in Massachusetts - Bob Lobster on Plum Island, Newburyport
The lobbie I had in Maine years ago was on Route 1 South somewhere in York, IIRC. It was a last minute stop by my Mom and me after antiquing. Place looked like an Early Bird special type place when we walked in, but both Mom and I said their lobster rolls were perfect. Can’t recall the name - don’t even know if it’s still there.

(I know Red’s Eats is supposed to be best, but it’s almost impossible to get one there the lines are so long!)

Clam Chowder - Bob Lobster again. And Legal Seafoods.

2 Likes

I liked their key lime pie and, of all things, their hash browns.

Not together though, although I might be game for trying the combo.

1 Like

Kern’s Derby Pie, to be specific.https://derbypie.com/pages/our-story

Couple friends who are Kansas City natives say that the Bryant’s burnt ends served these days are not the burnt ends that were free back in their day, when as young people on a date they relished ordering a cold beer without the staff’s eyebrow-raising. That reported, we’ll join your singling out Arthur Bryant’s for Missouri, having our own memories of the immense pleasure.

4 Likes

Farmed abalone is available in Monterey and Duarte’s.

Kentucky Hot Brown
Louisville Ky The Brown Hotel

South Carolina Shrimp &Grits
Charleston SC Pages Okra Grill

1 Like