Your New Stockpot Is Here!

Ok maybe you are right sorry Uni, the main point was an honest question There was a little bit of stuff leading up to that and I decided to focus on the “flimsy pan part”.

I guess I have my personal preferences and might be trying to rationalize all my expenditures on nice cookware…but really! if only people knew that you can actually find this well made cookware stuff if you are patient for good deals.

The way I look at cookware, is that it is a durable goods purchase that you are going to have for awhile. So I say try to be satisfied with what is taking up space in your kitchen or if you don’t really care and it cooks good enough for you thats fine by me too.

1 Like

Kaleo, you have no more basis to support your theory than I.

Your penchant for belittling those who do not agree with you makes you an exhausting conversational partner…and I don’t know why I bother.

You don’t discuss or debate…you make statements and then fling derision on any reply that you deem unworthy.

Fin.

I would just point out that cookware (or any other tool) shouldn’t be judged based ONLY on the quality of the final product. If using a fancy stockpot makes it easier or quicker or simply more fun to prepare a batch of stock, isn’t that also a benefit that should be considered, even if the stock ends up tasting exactly the same?

As an extreme example, I enjoy using my fancy WMF can opener and definitely don’t regret having spent the money to buy it, but I’m sure it doesn’t improve the taste of the stuff dumped out of the cans.

1 Like

Excuse me, waiter, may I have some ketchup for the spleen?

I have almost nothing that cost even $100 and I’ve never had to replace anything…except when I switched to induction (one of our daughters called it “Christmas in February” cause she got the rejects). Even then I bought a set for under $200.

1 Like

Thanks for proving my point.

I was pretty successful doing the nothing over $100 price point for single piece of cookware for awhile. It still adds up. For instance:

Oval Staub 5.75 qt $99

Zwilling Sensation/Industry got a good deal on a set and most add on pieces were under $100

Picked up the Demeyere 5+ conical saute for under $100

All my Sitram and Paderno Grand Gourmet and Silit stuff I got for bargains.

Oh boy don’t get me started because I like to mix it up. Eyeing some Fissler Profi stuff and hell I might even check out a “Crispy” Fissler. frypan. Oh man I can also see trying out some Swiss Spring stuff

I would put Copperware and say Atlantis in a different category and if I see a good deal I will jump on it.

At least I am not afraid to part with stuff.

Ok enough OT chatter from me. Props to the folks @ BrooklynCopper That’s one great last a lifetime stockpot.

1 Like

copper has all kinds of advantages in heat distribution etc and el barfo.

I have a lot of copper. I like it. it does a marvelous job. while I am completely convinced that a good cook can produce any dish out of an emptied #10 can mounted over one or more candles, copper makes many cooking tasks easier and more enjoyable.

all that said, the fact that copper makes even heating up the sides, around the rim, over the lid, etc etc yadda yadda - only indicates the cook has nadda clue. if one is using so much heat input on the bottom of a stock pot such that the argument holds water, there will be other much more severe consequences in the (lack of) quality in one’s stock.

so, all perfectly true technical statements, in real life - utterly meaningless.

1 Like

I followed this thread with interest. I always have been curious about copper pots, but my present home is in a no gas zone, I have an induction hob. I used cast iron pot or heavy based stainless steel for stocks, and they are pretty decent
for me.

Going back to the question is copper makes better stock. It will be nice if there are any Hungry Onion copper pots owners interested to conduct a relatively more scientific experiment, using the same ingredients, in a copper pot and the same ingredients in a, say, stainless steel pot and taste the result and report back.

A side note, I read sometime ago a food writer was astonished to find out that a 2 starred chef in France was using bouillon cube as stock, the chef seemed so grateful that this thing exist and how it facilitated his life!

1 Like

Hi, ZH:

Do you have a 3mm copper stocker of this geometry?

I would not be so quick to dismiss (better) heating in 3 dimensions, more even heating, and faster cooling.

If any “good cook” can make any prep in a steel can with a candle, then there are a lot of Michelin starred fools out there who’ve missed the meaninlessness of great cookware.

Aloha,
Kaleo

1 Like

Hi, naf:

I think we would find that there are many, many–too many–variables for such an experiment to amount to much. I think the best one could do is for each HO cook to cook in several stockers side-by-side for awhile. Since the ante for this game would be at least $1050, I’m guessing the $ is more important than knowing the result. Then there would be the sniping from the peanut gallery about methodology, etc. It would soon devolve into informed opinion (which is better than uninformed opinion, but still an attackable opinion).

Or, we might have select restaurant reviewers sample stocks cooked in copper vs. other constructions. But the same problems would exist–the only advantage would be some imprimitur of authority, a la the Dave Arnold piece linked above.

Aloha,
Kaleo

when making stock, I would. I do.

you missed the entire point. how many times have you said “it’s not the tools it’s the cook”?

copper is nice. if copper were the only viable material for pots and pans everyone would still be using it and it’d be dirt cheap due to economies of scale.

2 Likes

To each his own. For the entire process of stock-making, I don’t think there’s anything better than something like this pot. And there are other uses for it that benefit more from even heat in 3 dimensions. But its advantages are not “meaningless” as you say.

I’m tired of answering the “It’s the cook, not the pan.” self-valedictory. Of course it’s the cook. If that truism were ALL of the truth, all the La Liste chefs would use only your #10 tin can and candles… Like most truisms, this one doesn’t inform the discussion.

For me it is the overall cooking experience in the home. The nice stuff I have and the variety of shapes and sizes of cookware actually motivates me more to cook and try different recipes to use all the stuff I have.

I admit I like to stare at a nice pot sometimes…just simmering on the stove or even not being heated up and sitting on a shelf. Btw sometimes the other “pot” facilitates my cooking pot daydreamyness, kinda just hanging out the kitchen. I also probably tend to open up the fridge and just stare a little too much as well

On the other hand sometimes Pot or pots and pans whatever, I’m just going to get in there and will bang stuff around chop fry, peel, stir whatever, just get her done.

Regarding taste. Most people given a blind taste with a full meal plated dish probably couldn’t tell the difference in the material, that something was cooked out of. Some foods of course are more reactionary than others. Some recipes lend them self better to cooking with different materials.

The biggest difference I think maybe a person could possibly taste is a dish cooked in earthen ware ceramic as opposed to Aluminum or Stainless. I know one thing for sure Metal and other material can make things taste differently, specifically hot beverages. I much prefer my coffee or tea in a ceramic mug. Just don’t like coffee and especially tea in Stainless Steel. How many people like their coffee or tea out of a Styrofoam cup? If Starbucks started selling their coffee only in Styrofoam cups they would file Chapter 11 in six months.

Hidden health benefits of ceramic earthernware? who knows, but I know in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) That the Herb cooking pots are traditionally ceramic and they tell you not to use metal.

I have mostly SS interior cookware, I appreciate Copperware and Aluminum ply the most for control and performance of exterior. Since I am so SS interior heavy, for taste and possible health benefits Ilike to mix it up with other material like ECI, earthenware and nickel free Ceramic metal, like my Silit Silargan pieces.