Your Most Iconic Food on July 4th

Steamed Crabs, Corn on the Cob and Peach Cobbler!

6 Likes

The only 4 July meal I recall eating was at the Hard Rock Cafe in Ottawa two decades ago.

This 4th face to face get together is the first in three years due to Covid 19. Our diversity will give us a more laid back feast of traditional protein, special dishes, and desserts that challenge our capacity limits while just enjoying each other instead of a zoom.

1 Like

I got a little confused by “this 4th…is the first.”

1 Like

Thanks.

See my edit above.

Because I am a pain, I will suggest “This July 4th face to face…”

3 Likes

In my little corner of the US, smoked ribs (NOT baby backs, potato salad (used to be home made, but no longer), a version of fresh corn on the cob, nowadays a salad.

Working on it today, because all the food lasts more than a day, and on the actual day, I want to go out, since it sort of coincides with our anniversary.

Dry rub

Sauced

15 Likes

My dog was a coon dog who could handle the 12 ga., but I think it was the visuals of fireworks, and he lost it.

I need to get sweet corn. Not the best this time of year; but love a cob of corn, or 3.

I’m not a baby backer, either. Love to help you clean up that mess, though. Mmmhmm. I can smell 'em through the photo.

1 Like

:us: Happy 4th of July Everyone :us:

8 Likes

I’m heading to the Mercado to pick up a few things to grill then wash ‘em all down with some liber tea. :us:

3 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02J6nqhfeZs

3 Likes

Chicago is so amazing live. I’ve seen them twice.

I’ve only seen around a dozen singers or bands more than once, off the top of my head, Willie Nelson, Chicago, The Tragically Hip, the Barenaked Ladies, Jim Cuddy, Whitehorse.

The last big concert I saw was an outdoor concert in TO featuring Willie Nelson, in June 2019.

Those ribs looks skrompshiss.

1 Like

Happy 4th! Better days ahead I hope !

8 Likes

The iconic 4th food when I was growing up was a big backyard cookout with many aunts, uncles and cousins. Shish kebabs with yogurt-marinated lamb, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, and hot dogs for the kids who wanted them. There might have been the first COTC of the year. Yiayia probably made spanokopitas and tiropitas, and for dessert there was her baklava with ice cream, (eta) and of course, watermelon. This was before the pot melted and we went our separate ways.

12 Likes

It’s varied over the years, but ribs, potato salad, slaw and garlic bread is fairly standard. When the DD’s were younger there was always a flag cake they helped decorate. More recently dessert has been a fab red white and blue pie, or maybe a mixed berry cobbler with ice cream. Keeping it simple this year with home ground brisket burgers, and a salad. We are SOL for a dessert though…

4 Likes

There are certain bands/artists that can only be fully appreciated live. Chicago was one. John Prine, BB King, Grateful Dead, Willie Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Frank Sinatra, Stanley Clarke, and on and on. Almost useless to own their studio stuff. Still, I bought the studio stuff to juice my appetite for the live.

1 Like

There was an unplanned downside to my laid back fourth of July celebration.

The planned part: My catered french green bean prep was mixed in with very thin asparagus, flavored with grated parmesan and lemon–ready for steaming in my Le Creuset cocotte with insert.

Without informing me, the host threw it on the stove without adding water!

Just in time, we rescued the vegetables–which ended up just as tasty as planned,

but

my cocotte was a disaster. Spent two days already with a whole batch of remedies–but it’s still got stains I haven’t yet removed…

my fireworks for the night were in my ECI pot–not what I expected.

The host thought everything was wonderful . . .

3 Likes

Oh no!