Your Most Iconic Food on July 4th

There are some impressive themed desserts here: http://www.bhg.com/recipes/from-better-homes-and-gardens/july-2014-recipes/ I especially like the berry cobbler take on the “flag cake”.
It’s something I’ve never seen before, and takes just a little more effort than an ordinary cobbler.

I’d agree that Bud has that belt locked up. I have friends who demand Bud heavies in the 4th. I had a crazy room mate when abroad in college who quested to find a case of Bud in Paris for the 4th.

My motto on the 4th is that it’s your right as an American to do what you want on that day. For me that means drinking and eating whatever I want. Tomorrow I’m be drinking tequila with a few beers possibly mixed in later when working the grill. So far we have ribs, dogs and steak tips. However my brother in law is out fishing and I’m sure he’ll add a giant striper to the mix.

Happy 4th of July all. The fourth and Thanksgiving tend to be my favorite holidays as they are not religious based and the perceived obligations don’t really exist.

5 Likes

If what I saw at the liquor store this morning is any indication, yes. I was there for rosé and I think I was the only wine buyer in the store. Everyone else was buying Bud by the truckload.

Thanks bio . . . it sounds delicious! Probably won’t be able to make it tomorrow, but sometime soon I hope.

1 Like

That reminds me of a dessert my mom made when we were kids: cheesecake with one third topped with blueberries and 1/3 strawberries. Technically it was a red, white and yellowish cheesecake, but close enough.

2 Likes

Buffalo Trace or George Dickel!

2 Likes

someone brought a “flag cookie” to our event: sugar cookie dough base, covered witha cream cheese filling, topped with bananna slices, strawberry halves and blueberries. nice variation on the theme.

3 Likes

“nice variation on the theme.”
Another of this great country’s deeply rooted traditions being twisted to unrecognizable ends , I say! Next it’ll be flag pizza! Flag mac and cheese! red, white and blue meatloaf! (OK, I will have to admit it also sounds very tasty!)

What are you making this year?

1 Like

Seeded watermelon. Just can’t get enough of it. Nothing rehydrates me like watermelon. Seedless have come along way; but I love the sweet seeded perfection.

4 Likes

Hot dog ain’t a samich!!! I love natural casing butcher dogs. Half the time I don’t even need the bun.

“boats, and noodle salad.” Melvin Udahl

1 Like

You are asking this question 6 years later? :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

I’m with @DaBadger with the hotdogs and watermelon, both scream 4th of July, as does ice cream off an ice cream truck!!!

5 Likes

You have ice cream trucks braving the all day and night neighborhood fireworks gauntlet?
Wow :slight_smile:

I’m bringing freshly steamed green string beans with rutabaga chips and apple pie.

Ray

1 Like

Being in Austin, this is easy. A smoked brisket (no sauce, thank you), ranch beans, potato salad, coleslaw optional, Fredericksburg peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream (Amy’s Mexican vanilla), whiskey (Milam & Green) or beer, Pearl Snap, maybe whiskey before and after the meal and beer with it. Then a leisurely Cohiba or Partagas.

6 Likes

That sounds really good but not in the spirit of the fourth, which (in Texas) is dress comfy/grubby, eat junk food, blow stuff up and or drink. Watch the dogs carefully. My dog is a gun dog and A-OK, but most will freak out.

It is my favorite holiday. No pressure to get home for it. Dress in swim trunks. Eat whatever you want; a 7-11 burrito is ok. Do what you like. No gifts.

2 Likes

@biondanonima and @gaffk another good non-mayo potato salad is this, https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/salt-and-vinegar-potato-salad-235029 - salt and vinegar with Old Bay seasoning. I use more Old Bay and less oil than the recipe calls for. It’s definitely better on day 2.

1 Like

Thanks Mara. I have to say, I’ve done @biondanonima 's recipe a few times over the years and it’s as good as advertised (I tend towards lighter on the vinegar and I’m known to be a bit heavy-handed with the salt and scallions).

1 Like

When it’s doctors, nurses, and health care workers, it’s more laid back. Always a surprise or two.

When I lived in Laguna, it was a real big hunk of Salmon on a grill, beans, corn, salad–in and out of the hot tub–looking at a silhouette of Santa Catalina Island as the sun was setting . . .

That does sound good - like a cross between salt and vinegar chips and Old Bay fries (both of which I like). My husband would never forgive me if I didn’t make the one I listed above though - he lives for it!

3 Likes