Your Hummus Recipe

Do you make your own hummus? Please share your favorite recipe!

My recipe - which I believe was originally from Tyler Florence although I’ve likely modified it - uses a can of chickpeas (drained), 1/3 cup tahini, 1/3 cup water, the juice of one lemon, one garlic clove, a generous lashing of olive oil, a sprinkling of dried parsley and salt to taste. I don’t have a blender so I just use a food processor.

I prefer to use raw tahini; the roasted version tastes slightly bitter to me. I peel the chickpeas.

I serve it with more olive oil and a lot of cayenne pepper. Usually I just eat it with Whole Foods’ artisan multigrain bread.

I like this recipe so well that I’ve never really experimented with any others, which is one reason I wanted to see what everyone else does.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve made my own, from scratch. Recipe probably a mix of Ottolenghi and Smitten Kitchen. Used Al Wadi tahina (yes, with an “a” not an “i” - that’s how it’s labeled and a native Arabic-speaker explained to me that “tahina” is correct - but I digress.)

Cooked dried chickpeas according to directions. And then I peeled them. Every one of them. And invoked my ancient Cuisinart to obliterate the ingredients- chickpeas, garlic, tahina, olive oil, lemon juice, probably a bit of ice water. Didn’t add cumin.

Behold the peels in the little paper bowl.

It was unimaginably delicious. Best hummus I’ve ever had. Will I do it again?

No. Pass me the carton of Sabra Roasted Garlic. Life is short.

3 Likes

I soak and boil chickpeas till soft
Put in the blender with some of the boiling water (I don’t peel. I’m way too lazy for that), some garlic, cumin and a little chili powder. Maybe some lemon or lime juice & olive oil. Tahini if I got. I quite often leave it out.
Blend. Add liquid if needed. Serve with some extra olive oil and a bit of paprika powder.
I quite often eat it on toast.

Then recently, I made a total differdnt version. I overdid the spices in a chickpea curry. Decided to blend the left over to eat as a side with my meal.
It works :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was unimaginably delicious. Best hummus I’ve ever had. Will I do it again?

No. Pass me the carton of Sabra Roasted Garlic. Life is short.

Ha, I get that. Doesn’t it seem like the amount of cooking effort one is willing to make depends a lot on the final application? I’m willing to cook dried chickpeas if I’m making a chickpea salad, but not if I’m just going to blend them into hummus. And a big part of why I make my own hummus is probably that I’m using it practically as a meal in itself, rather than as a condiment for a sandwich or something.

Tahini if I got. I quite often leave it out.

That’s interesting - I was wondering whether any of the cooks here would use little or no tahini.

Boil own chickpea, and always peel. Never canned.

Grind your own sesame seeds for the tahini.

Don’t skimp on the garlic or EVOO.

Use crush ice cubes instead of water when blending.

Garnish with a bit of za’atar seasoning

1 Like

I cook a big batch of chickpeas and what I don’t use goes into the freezer. Works a dream!

1 Like

I’ve used it as a side with a boneless chicken breast, and used fresh salsa as the other side. For me - never tried it out on anyone else.

I use this recipe.

Once I cook the chickpeas, I peel them individually. It’s time consuming, but worth it. The texture of the hummus is smooth and creamy.

Middle Eastern is our favourite “foreign” food and houmous will often find itself included in a mezze, whether we’re eating in a restaurant or preparing at home. I am never a slave to the “cooking from scratch” mantra and will usually buy a good quality houmous from the supermarket (spending my kitchen dip making time on making moutabel or muhammara). One of our supermarket chains, Waitrose, has a good selection of Middle Eastern products in its Levantine Table range -
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/waitrose_brands/the_levantine_table

On the occasions,when I have made it, I use tinned chickpeas. Yes, I know purists will say that you get a much better result from cooking your own chickpeas but, frankly,I can’t tell the difference (which, no doubt, says more about me than it does about chickpeas). They go in the processor, with a little of the liquid (keeping the rest, just in case I need a bit more), tahini, garlic & lemon juice. Blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust quantities (always seems to need more lemon for me). Houmous ready to eat in about five minutes.

This. Dried chickpeas, never canned. Soaking/boiling with baking soda obviates the need for peeling. Lemon juice soak calms the raw garlic.

My gold standard was Hummus Place in Manhattan, and this recipe is as good as that.

2 Likes

Yep.

But we have a hummus-loving child in the family, so we often doctor Sabra with some tahini, lemon juice, cold water, and a mini whisk to bring it all together. Makes more of a difference than I expected.

Personally, I prefer a chunkier hummus. (But I could also take or leave hummus on the whole. Give me labne, toum, muhammara, borani, or any of the plentiful other choices.)

1 Like

Since making the Solomonov quick hummus, I have not looked back:

While it is unbelievably delicious with the full amount of tahini, I don’t always use it.

1 Like

I’m a fan of the Food and Wine magazine 2015 recipe for Curried Onion and Cauliflower Hummus, which is available on the Epicurious site. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/curried-onion-and-cauliflower-hummus-58393278

Oddly enough I don’t have a recipe. Base ingredients are soaked/cooked chickpeas, some of the cooking water, garlic, lemon juice, EVOO, and hulled white sesame seeds lightly toasted. Other stuff depends on what I have on hand and what I’m in mood for.

For me, skipping store bought tahini and making my own was a game changer as I can control the color/flavor.

1 Like

Absolutely! Here is my favorite hummus recipe:

Ingredients:

• 2 cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 1/4 cup of tahini
  • 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 lemon (juiced)
  • 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Place the chickpeas into a food processor. Blend until it forms a paste.
  2. Add in the garlic, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend again until the ingredients are well combined.
  3. Taste the hummus and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
  4. Serve with pita bread, vegetables, or as a dip. Enjoy!