Your favorite soy sauce brands and more

I was thinking of marinating skirt steak. Then again, some bourbon and wood smoke might give better flavor or it could over power it. For 9 bucks it won’t be a big hit on the wallet if it isn’t good. With that many great reviews, I’m pretty sure it will be half decent.

1 Like

Take one for the team. :slight_smile: Find out for us.

2 Likes

@corvette_johnny – If you try it, please report back and let us know what you think! :slight_smile:

@Chemicalkinetics – I think worcestershire sauce is such an under-rated ingredient. Didn’t know Bourbon barrel worcestershire was thing. I may have to look up that one myself.

1 Like

This company makes several bourbon sauces. Bourbon soy sauce, Bourbon worcestershire, Bourbon Kentuckyaki.

2 Likes

Huh, I recall seeing these things and other oddballs at the China Live store in SF if anyone is nearby wants to look. Pretty fun just walking around though I find the prices to be somewhat high

1 Like

I prefer to make a thin omelette separately and sort of “chiffonade” it before adding to the dish in the final seconds.

1 Like

HEALTHY BOY is my go-to

2 Likes

wow, G

thanks GretchenS, that site is actually probably more informative than this thread! amazing detail, including about different varieties of Maggi sauce for different world regions!

1 Like

What different soy sauces are used for…

3 Likes

I’m so glad I did a search before posting my query about these soy sauces I recently saw at an Asian grocer… I was in the market for new soy sauce, and was frankly overwhelmed with the different varieties (brand, provenance, ingredients, premium vs. super-duper-special, etc.).

Thanks, @naf (3 years late :joy:) for that link, too. I know various soy sauces are used for various purposes, so this is helpful.

I ended up getting the Pearl River dark and light soy sauces. Just tried the dark on its own and it’s… kinda dusty in flavor?

1 Like

I used dark soy sauce for the first time last week in my fried rice because I was lazy and it was the closest bottle (though unopened), and I was not a particularly happy girl. It was like being hit over the head. My fault entirely. Lesson learned.

2 Likes

I am strictly a Kikkoman guy (c; If I need a darker, richer sauce, I’ll simply steep thinly sliced mushrooms (preferably dried - but fresh will work) in a small covered bowl or ramekin of hot (almost to a boil) soy sauce for about 30 minutes. When cool, either ring out the mushroom/soy sauce mixture through a couple layers of cheesecloth, or puree in blender or food processor and put through a fine mesh strainer.

Depending on the shrooms used, you can get quite a variety of richer, more savory flavors… and I think Kikkoman is an excellent base.

2 Likes

After using various soy sauces for years, I have now switched to tamari. Soy sauce is made from a mix of soy beans and wheat. Tamari is 100% soy beans, so it has a more intesive taste. It is also gluten free, in case that is a concern for anyone.

5 Likes

I pretty much only buy soy sauce when in Japan; lately, my choice has been Kikkoman oyster soy sauce. (the link is in Japanese)

Coincidentally, two years ago I visited the birthplace of Japanese soy sauce, a town named Yuasa. You can visit a couple of producers; the aroma led me right to the gift shop. Unironically, that’s also where the self-guided tour route leads one.

On an entirely different note, one of my favorite expressions in any language is the Chinese phrase 打酱油 (dǎjiàngyóu, if the pinyin helps). It can be roughly translated as “to get soy sauce.” However, it has become a euphemism for “it’s none of my business.” Of course there’s an insalubrious story behind the meaning.

2 Likes

I can’t speak to the Pearl River brand of dark soy, but when I use dark soy in a recipe I use it sparingly. Not only atthe depper color, but there’s is a more intense, heavier flavor than light or regular soy - but it is not as salty as regular soy. I primarily use it mixed into other things (vinegar for dipping sauce, or mixed with fermented bean curd) or for a quick flavoring before cooking (a bit of dark soy on pork belly before I fry or braise it).

3 Likes

It’s more for color and to be used very sparingly, in my limited experience.

I just bought a huge jug of one of my favorite brands:

Lee Kum Kee PREMIUM SOY SAUCE FAMILY PACK 59 fl oz each Bottle (1 PACK) https://a.co/d/9mX3OTJ

I bought in the Chinese market in Greenville, SC for less.

Me too.

3 Likes

I think sauces labeled “dark” (sometimes “black”) are generally used more for color than flavor. It might well vary nationally, though. Can be more salt-forward than others but generally less into “flavor.” But my main experience lies with Thai/Viet/Lao varieties, and your experience might vary if you find Korean/Chinese labelings.

FWIW: Kimlan Yellow label is my go-to for Chinese cooking (It’s made in Taiwan, if we want to preserve political sensitivities…). I like Golden Mountain Seasoning and also the Mushroom Soy Sauce with that fat baby on the label for regular Thai, etc. Bon appetit!

2 Likes

From your photos, they are mainly under the same brand Lee Kum Kee, originally Hong Kong brand, now manufactured in China.

Dusty doesn’t like a good description for dark soy sauce. Usually it’s sweeter than light soy sauce due to the caramel for coloring purpose. One uses side by side with light soy sauce.

I haven’t tried Pearl River for ages, I remember I did a comparison many years ago and found the taste less umami than other brands. If there are not much choices, I will get LKK. If you see some Taiwanese brands, you can give it a shot too.

4 Likes