Your Favorite Cutting Board and Your Recommendations

Maybe I consider to get one eventually if day to day maintenance is low. I don’t particularly like plastic ones, even they are practical.

Wooden ones are beautiful, but they need to be cared from time to time and also some are really heavy.

2 Likes

No not as of yet.

The two rubber cutting boards I own are what they use in many professional restaurants in Copenhagen.

I just wash them and that’s it. I actually quite like to cut vegetables on them. They’re a tiny bit bouncy like a soft wooden board is.

1 Like

What Andrew said is also my experience using my two rubber cutting boards.

I might dump my plastic boards soon in favour of rubber boards in many sizes in my home kitchen.

1 Like

I have a Sani-Tuff too. Not only I find it “grabby” or that knives cut into the Sani-Tuff. I also find my knives get dull faster.

1 Like

Here it is, in its stained glory…

4 Likes

I have small, medium, and large maple boards, all longitudinally cut and bonded, and a slab olive cheese board with a natural edge. I love all four but would probably love an end grain maple as well. @Chemicalkinetics’ beautiful pine slab would be awfully cool too.

1 Like

Nice. Is that a small concave surface for making pastry?

Any reason why you are into maple? Maple is a popular food, but I realize all three of your cutting boards are all maples.

My kitchen island is 2" maple butcher block with an undermount prep sink. I use it for pretty much everything except proteins (where I use plastic). Luv being able to just sweep the scraps/flour/etc. into the sink.

It also has an insert with small and large colanders, and a couple of containers and cutting board that slide around the perimeter. The insert also fits in the right side of my main sink.

2 Likes

Seems like many of us have one cutting board for vegetables and one for meat/fish. I have multiple cutting boards, but they are ubiquitously used for everything.

2 Likes

We have a few of these Preserve cutting boards that have withstood years of use. The boards go in the dishwasher (it doesn’t have a heating element for drying) to sanitize when needed. The company used to take the boards back to recycle but no longer does, so I can only hope these boards last us many more years. Full-circle recycling was originally a selling point. Sigh.

We also have a couple of wooden boards that get limited use. Thickness and size makes the wooden boards more work to retrieve and put away. Lack of counter space means our cutting boards can only be out when in use.

I originally put down a polyurethane on the island with the thought that proteins would be cleanable, but after a fair amount of usage it was clear I would need to sand and reapply way too often.

So I sanded it all down and went with a food safe mineral oil/beeswax combo. It still needs to be re-applied regularly, but is much quicker/easier to do… however I am not comfortable with proteins on it (it’s 4x6 feet and just won’t fit in the dishwasher) (c;

1 Like

I got the first one, the largest, in 1976 and liked it so much that I got another one around 2000 and the third, the smallest, just a few months ago. It is pretty low maintenance, just wash, dry, and, periodically, mineral oil it. It seems soft enough that I do not feel I am abusing my knives but hard enough not to show a lot of knife marks. It seemed smart not to gamble on a different wood, but your pine experience really is temping if I ever need another board.

I made a small rack with some boards and dowels to store them standing up. That way they take up little space, are easy to get out and put away, and are always dry.

Me, too. If I get chicken or guts on it, I just wash it with hot water and dish soap.

2 Likes

Yup, me too. I basically pick the board on the basis of how much food I’m prepping, or whether another one’s in use.

3 Likes

I have 2 / 23.5" X 16" pieces of a Maple Butcher Block from a Counter that was being tossed when they were remodeling the Kitchen at my Spouses Office!

My favorite boards(especially at work) are Synthetic Rubber.

2 Likes

this is my Boardsmith end grain. it replaced a no-name maple edge grain.
I use it for bread, fish, shellfish, poultry, beef, pork, vegetables - basically anything that needs a knead/cut/dice/slice/mince/chop. for the last 50 years.

humanity has been using wood boards since the Dark Ages. I’m thinking they’re onto something…

I do have additional plastic and wood board for use when the one board is insufficient working space.

ze old board (it warped . . .)

2 Likes

Wow, great. And great history.

1 Like