Your favorite cookbook as a child?

Betty Crocker’s Cook book for Boys and Girls. We had the 1957 edition and when I googled it, found out that edition was reissued in 2003.

https://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crockers-Cook-Book-Girls/dp/B007SRW6DW

3 Likes

My grandpa’s farmer bible “How to do Things” had the first recipes I ever tried. Corn bread was especially popular. Best book a person can own.

2 Likes

Is this the book?

There are tons out there. It’s kind of overwhelming! My 1 year old grandson isn’t ready to cook with me yet, but I’ve seen an online magazine called Chop Chop Family that sounds good.

1 Like

i had the 1957 version, as well. if i recall, it was spiral-bound. used to make the mac-and-cheese when my mother had my sister’s brownie troop. it was the custard version, with eggs. then we discovered stouffers…

2 Likes

our Betty Crocker Boys and Girls was spiral-pound. I just ordered the replica copy to evoke memories. I do remember putting round pickle “wheels” on hot dog buns to make them edible vehicles. Well before there was a microwave oven available to “cook” a hot dog in a bun on a paper plate! My dad bought one of the first “radar?range” microwaves when they first came out.

2 Likes

No kids cookbooks when I was little but mom cooked with the Fannie Farmer cookbook all the time.
I still make the sugar cookies, fudge, banana bread and gingerbread from those recipes.

2 Likes

My first was also Betty Crocker’s Cookbook for boys & girls. I also read it cover to cover like I do cook books now.

3 Likes

Timesferd Timer. “you’ll have a fun time , eating sunshine on a stick!”

“Oh, some weekend when it’s raining and your mother is complaining that you’re sitting around just twiddling your thumbs.” I bet if I try I could remember the songs. “but the thing that’s gonna please her is you make it in the freezer with some orange juice and just a few toothpicks.”

Yeah, sunshine on a stick sucks.

Here he is!

“I hanker for a hunk of cheese!.”

1 Like

Midwesterner, my Mom was never a really good cook but the dishes she made that I liked the most came out of that old red plaid Better Homes and Gardens cook book. I still remember how excited we would get if she told us she was making Porcupine Balls, which is a BH&G dish.

1 Like

That and Schoolhouse Rock. Ah, those were the days.

1 Like

download (3)
download (4)

I gave my Winnie The Pooh cookbook to a friend’s daughter at Xmas.

3 Likes

Those damn songs still run through my head. “Threee is a magic number, yes it is!” " I’m just a bill and I’m only a bill, and I’m sittin’ here on capitol hill." “Interjections… show excitement… or emotion!”

1 Like

“Conjunction junction, what’s your function?”

2 Likes

“Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.”

Like ZivBnd, I recall BHG magazines on the coffee table and checking out the recipes. I’d find one that looked good and my mom and I would give it a whirl. I’d love to know who made BHG cookware. It was clad stuff that I adore to this day.

3 Likes