Your favorite chimichurri recipe

Thought I’d make some to have with steak tonight. There’s a million recipes out there, but, as always, I’d love to know how you make it. Thanks.

Oh boy… what a can of worms!!! The good news it is nearly impossible to screw this up.

Authentic chimichurri is essentially a neutral oil vinaigrette with lots of garlic and parsley, oregano, chili flakes, and some salt. It’s good, but I prefer a brighter more salsa-ish version.

I luv cilantro, so I do a cilantro/parsley mix along with the oregano. I also prefer lime juice to vinegar, and a really good EVOO as opposed to a neutral one. And if I have it on hand… a bit of fresh thyme and/or mint. I’ll sometimes also add onion, and fresh (sometimes roasted) serrano/jalapeno chiles instead of the red chile flakes.

Ideally, you’ll want to do it all with a mortar & pestle to get the proper texture, but I am lazy and just pulse it in the blender/FP.

I don’t do steak, but often have it on fish, and much prefer the brighter version. If I did steak I’m guessing that would also be the case.

So it really depends on what you like, and I don’t have a “go to” recipe as it often depends on what I have on hand… but if you’re looking for one this Gordon Ramsey vid is a great start (but it’s a half bulb of garlic and NOT a 1/2 clove)… plus he doesn’t use chiles, and I prefer lime juice to lemon (and the zest is overkill - and I’d skip the sugar).

2 Likes

Thanks! I’d skip the cilantro, but I appreciate your thoughts. What do you think about fresh oregano vs. dried? I have dried, but, if it makes a big difference, I’ll get some fresh. I do have fresh parsley though.

I’ve used both as I rarely have fresh on hand. I have to say the texture is noticeably better with fresh, and the taste is fresher and sharper… but dry is not a deal breaker. Use only about a third as much as you would use fresh, and add some freshly ground black pepper to kick it up a notch.

2 Likes

This will be my afternoon project!

Amounts to your taste…

Anchovies
Rosemary
Capers
Garlic
Juice of 1 lemon or 2 limes
Salt
Pepper
Aleppo pepper

Put anchovies, garlic and salt in food processor or blender and whirl till chopped fine. Add the rest of the ingredients except the olive oil and chop. Then add the olive oil.

The anchovies add umami and a bit of emulsification. I have been known to add parsley as well. I chop the parsley by hand and add it after the blending.

2 Likes

I have a huge bunch of cilantro (my preference). I made aji verde this morning and chimichurri will be next. Oo, garlic, red pepper flakes, s&p, dried Mexican oregano. I let this sit while the oregano absorbes the oo and then add additional as needed, then add cilantro, capers and a splash of balsamic vinegar. I don’t blend, just finely chop.

3 Likes

Curious to see the varieties with anchovies and capers. Mine’s pretty basic and similar to what’s been posted already - parsley, cilantro, oregano (usually dried), garlic, salt, RPF, olive oil, splash of RWV.

…and now I want steak. With lots of chimichurri :yum:

1 Like

That’s what’s on the menu for tonight!

1 Like

technically not a chimichurri, but my favourite green sauce. this is the base (i make adjustments depending on what i have on hand) i use:

1 tablespoon capers
2 anchovy fillets
3 cloves garlic (peeled, green germ removed)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup arugula, chopped
¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
salt

thank you Jonathan Waxman.

1 Like

Well, my “afternoon project” took about five minutes. Now I’m letting the flavors get together.
More time for reading - yay!

2 Likes

Chimichurri - where have you been all my life???! I made a very simple one: parsley, dried oregano, garlic, salt, olive oil, and Meyer lemon juice. Fantastic on a rib steak last night, and looking forward to having it with shrimp tonight. Thanks for all your recipes.

3 Likes