Your Favorite Chef Is Probably Using These Frozen French Fries

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks to another thread on this site I have happily switched to McCains. But a quick check shows my local Giant sells Lamb Weston (and at even a lower per-ounce price). I may have to check these out.

1 Like

I tried Lamb Weston once, I can’t remember which ones, I wasn’t impressed. I don’t buy frozen fries very often but usually buy Krogers shoestring fries.

I always have fries in the freezer, though a bag lasts 2 or more months, for those “need a quick dinner and a side” days. That’s why I went for McCains–only 5 minutes and they’re pretty good. But I’ll give the Lamb Weston a chance next time fries are on the shopping list.

Totally unrelated–your avatar is adorable.

2 Likes

I’ll look for them next time I get to a Safeway. I do have a bag of Alexia sweet potato fries in the freezer.
That’s my yorkie asking me “What’s for dinner?” Sadly he is no longer with me.

1 Like

Poor pup . . . I’m sure that bowl he was carrying wasn’t empty very often.

1 Like

Favorite frozen fries, fur shore!

1 Like

There are several varieties of frozen fries that I like. Grown in Idaho and Alexia are Lamb Weston products.

Grown in Idaho Hand Cut Fries
McCain Craft Beer Battered Thin Cut Potatoes
McCain Quick Cook Straight Cut French Fried Potatoes
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries
Alexia Yukon Select Fries

McCain Quick Cook Crinkle Cut French Fried Potatoes
Kroger Extra Crispy Crinkle Cut Fries
Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Crinkles

Checkers/Rally’s Famous Seasoned Fries
Market Pantry Shoestring Seasoned Fries (Target store brand)
Alexia Crispy Rosemary Fries

1 Like

Are all of those brands Lamb-Weston? If not, does anyone know which brands from them (if any) are available at retail in SoCal?

I did not know that, not only are they Lamb Weston but they have corporate offices in my old stomping grounds of Kennewick, WA.

McCain and Ore-Ida are not Lamb Weston. I don’t know who actually produces the Checkers/Rally, Kroger, and Market Pantry branded products. Here in western Colorado, Safeway carries more McCain, and Kroger carries more Grown in Idaho. Seems that everyone carries Ore-Ida.

AFAIK Grown In Idaho is not available here in SoCal. McCain has been the best I’d tried. Nathan’s onion rings are very good too.

Here’s the Product Finder page at the Grown in Idaho website. I searched the Hand Cut Fries and Los Angeles, and a few places showed up. You might play around with that and see if it’s useful for you.

I’ve only had two Grown in Idaho products, Hand Cut Fries which I rate very highly and Super Crispy Crinkle Cut Fries which I thought had too much crisping agent on them causing me to rate them lower than the other crinkle cut fries that I listed in my earlier post. For my tastes, McCain products are at or near the top of just about every category of those that I’ve tried. I especially like McCain Quick Cook Crinkle Cuts.

2 Likes