Your Favorite Carrot Cake Recipe

I bought a cheap bag of carrots from the supermarket for a big batch of cole slaw and they aren’t the greatest. OK texture but not sweet enough. So I thought of baking them but on 2nd thought, why not a carrot cake?

Yeah, there are a lot of carrot cake recipe on the net but I’m locked down in NYC and would be interested to hear others’ favorites.

I think I have all the ingredients except raisins. I do have dried cranberries.

So have at it HO’ers!

Look up Betty Crocker carrot cake recipe. Very simple - never fails.

made this gluten free option one thanksgiving. it’s now my favorite:

flourless carrot cake

12 ounces pecans, finely ground.
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch kosher salt
6 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pound carrots, grated
1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg

grease 3 8-inch pans: line with parchment, then grease parchment. 350-degree oven, 20 minutes.

Place the pecans and sugar in a food processor and process in spurts until the pecans are finely ground. Add the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, then pulse together.

Beat the eggs until thick in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or with an electric beater. Add the sugar slowly, and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and forms a ribbon when lifted from the bowl with a spatula. Beat in the vanilla. Add the pecan mixture and the carrots in three alternating additions, and slowly beat or fold in each time.

Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pans. Place in the oven, and bake until firm to the touch and beginning to pull away from the pan (20 minutes). A toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pans, remove layers carefully. Allow the layers to cool completely before frosting.

cream cheese whipped cream frosting

8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup heavy cream

Place the cream cheese and powdered sugar in a large bowl and beat on medium-low speed until smooth.

Turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and pour the heavy cream down the side of the bowl in a very slow and steady stream, stopping every now and then to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a silicone spatula.

When all the cream has been added, turn the mixer up to medium-high and whip until the frosting holds stiff peaks.

Fold in the vanilla extract.

1 Like

I 100% support dried cranberries instead of raisins.

2 Likes

Sounds fabulous @wonderwoman - will jot it down in my kitchen notebook, and let you know when I remember to try it. Thanks for posting.

Tell us how you REALLY feel about raisins @Babette :grin:

I’ve prob tried at least a half dozen cc recipes over the years and Maida Heatter’s is always my favorite.

Funny that that websites name is marzipan yet there’s no mention of Maida’s optional (time consuming) decoration of tiny marzipan carrots.
They really make the cake exceptional looking.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It’s just as well, I don’t have the ingreds for marzipan…

1 Like

Carrot cake is one of the less offensive places to find raisins, but you won’t find them in mine :slight_smile:

If you have white chocolate, I like RLB’s white chocolate cream cheese icing, +/- equal parts by weight of soft butter, cream cheese, and melted white chocolate. Add lemon/lime juice & vanilla extract to taste.

2 Likes

Not a raisin fan either and just enough cream cheese frosting that I can still see and enjoy the cake.

2 Likes

I really like golden raisins for baking. But I don’t have them, and under the circumstances I’m not going to buy any. Golden raisins are not a priority now.:thinking::wink:

1 Like

This recipe is almost identical to my great-grandmother’s. She reduced the oil by 25% and the sugar by 25% and adds an extra cup of carrots. No added stuff which is what I like.

This sounds interesting - I assume a dense and “fudgy” texture?