Your dog’s favourite treats

It’s a bad idea to give dogs raisins or grapes. I wouldn’t risk it with any dog.

1 Like

Back in the ‘70s, I worked as a vet assistant-cum-receptionist in a small animal practice. If any of our clients’ dogs was ever sickened by eating raisins or grapes, no one would have made the connection because this was unheard of. It was commonplace for vets to recommend giving obese dogs small bits of produce as treats, especially if Grandpa or another family member insisted on handfeeding goodies to Fido.

There are, literally, countless variables here. I have no idea how many of these have been scientifically studied. Breed/size/amount consumed. Variety of the grape. If the dog roams loose, it may also be eating something that counteracts grape/raisin toxicity. What brand of commercial food is it eating? Some formulae might combat toxicity, or increase the risk… Just saying that while avoiding potential poisoning, Any pet owner should have a first aid kit for them. Include activated charcoal tablets, anti-diarrhea med, bulb syringe (or oral syringe for babies) and hydrogen peroxide. Include an index card with the weight of each pet, the ratio of water to peroxide to induce vomiting, and other dosing info. Canned low sodium broth or bouillon base, jarred all-meat baby food… These days most animal hospitals are understaffed. Even in definitely emergency situations, you may not be able to get seen in time to avoid disaster. If your pet swallows something dangerous, induce vomiting immediately, THEN call the vet. If what was swallowed is sharp, caustic, or acidic, vomiting will make things worse. Feed bread, potato, or other thick starch to absorb/cushion the dangerous material. Even cotton balls spread with peanut butter, canned pet food, can help. Remember that with a pet health emergency, you’re just the EMT, not the doctor.

5 Likes

Good advice on what to do if someone’s dog eats something harmful.

Seems that no one made the connection about raisins/grapes and renal failure in dogs until the late 1980’s. Apparently, it was discovered by people looking at computer databases.

3 Likes

Great story. :rofl:

When we have a can of commercial whipped cream in the fridge, occasionally we give our dog a small spritz in her bowl.

Whipped cream is also known as “shut up spray” in our house because it keeps our dog quiet when she’s intent on having what we’re having but should not. She’d happily lap up a bowlful of the stuff if we ever let her, then ask for more.

3 Likes

My cute, timid, squirrely little chow mix ate the Greenies I gave her for about a week.Then she started taking it in her mouth and dropping it while looking at me. I chose to ignore that slight and obvious attitude and walked away. She took to carrying it around in her mouth like a cigar, all the while giving us soulful pitiful-but accusing looks. So I gave the rest of the bag to a coworker with three German Shepherds, who would eat them so the other two wouldn’t be able to. Gotta love those dogs

2 Likes

Greenies do not have a great reputation in the U.S.

2 Likes

Highly recommended by my dog .

4 Likes

We just have the regular old dog biscuits like Milk-Bone and they like them fine, and know them by and respond to the generic word “Treat”.

But what they really go nuts over is the remainders from when I make broth in the Instant Pot.

Any kind of meat I make, the bones and scraps go into the pot for a broth. When it’s done, the remainders to me have no scent or flavor, but the dogs think it’s heavenly. I toss out any chunks of fat then grind the meat and bones up into a meal and put a tablespoon of that morning/evening into their food bowls, covered with kibble.

This stuff they know by the generic word “Bribe” because one of them is a finicky eater but he never fails to engage immediately and quickly finish when there’s “Bribe” in the bowl.

2 Likes

Oooooo… and fractions too!!!

Help cover Hungry Onion's costs when you shop at Amazon!

Bessarabsky Market, Kyiv. Ukraine
Credit: Juan Antonio Segal, Flickr