Yet another NYC trip: part 6 I think: one of the best days of my life

If I had to name my favorite day since my second life began in 2002 when I had my open heart surgery. When my surgeon’s first words to me were “tell you cardiologist that I do fucking great work”. Since my life expectancy was 10 years and its 21 years later, its hard to top that. I could not react as I still had the breathing tube!

Candidate 2 is October 22, 2023 when Kay and I say the perfect production of Merrily followed by the best meal of our life.

The next candidates involve our cats, past and present, but as this is a food board…

Well here is yesterday…

We woke up, packed and went for sustenance. Joe’s rice noodle for rice rolls. Joe’s party was the flavor of the day. Egg, beef, pork, dried shrimp, other stuff like hotdog, lettuce and cilantro

Next came a change of base, a logistical triumph to rival Shermans change of base. We took the lirr to penn, the subway to the port authority and NY Transit bus to Gutenberg to drop our luggage. All this lugging 2 suitcases and 2 backpacks. Lucky we are of an age that many folk helped us with said luggage.

Then back on NJ Transit to TMthe PA and a short walk to the Lunt Fontaine for our second time at the Ashford/Groban Sweeney.

On the way, we stopped for a gelato at Armonia on 7th for pretty damned good gelato. Yougurt, stracciatella, pistachio and hazelnut were all outstanding even if served pretty frozen. 2 small cups.

Our first time to this Sweeney production was early in previews and we felt it the top to bottom best of the 9 live Sweeneys we have seen. Today just blew it out of the water. Frankly, if I had to choose between the perfect Merrily or this… well I have tickets to both again in February. Rather than post my 2500 word essay on the performance, here is my review from facebook. As I am working on my dying phone, I hope this works.

:camera_flash: Look at this post on Facebook

We cane out sweaty, exhilarated and frankly exhausted. And in need of food: we don’t operate on steamed rice rolls and gelato alone. I tossed out Los Mariscos at Chelsea Market. Or Katz. Both were recieved well. But then the strike if genius. You know me… good ideas just pop in me head! Instead of human stuffed meat pies, KANDO! I mean if ever were were going to get buffed out, it would be after our Friendsgiving mishap. So off to the N and Astoria. We got there early before Mrs Kondo was on the floor and my suspicions were right. We otdered dish by dish and Kondosan made many suggestions. Incredible but we did not take pics.

So you know the key to my heart… Steamed rice rolls, transit fun, the perfectest Sondheim and an incredible meal. All with my main squeeze.

My other squeezes are these furries…

10 Likes