Xi'an Famous Foods Becoming a Dumpling Spt (Manhattan, NY)

Biang has also closed.

I noticed too. Maybe it is an effort to consolidate the brand – just one name. Or maybe starting feel no room for expansion. Still 11 stores in NY. Not bad.

How does this compare for dumplings to say Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao on Prince street in Flushing?

Sorry, never tried this Dumpling Spot. It was opened for about 1-2 weeks and then it was shutdown. I didn’t see a lot of business. My guess is that the Na Xiang Xiao Long Bao on Prince Street is much better. (I have tried that place).

Have you tried either of the places that Pete Wells recently reviewed in the Times, Pinch Chinese or Tim Ho Wan? I still mourn the passing of Prosperity Dumpling on Eldridge.

The Tim Ho Wan review reads like a zero star to me, but yet it has a star. Hmmph. Must be the items Wells liked dragging up the rating.

there is a second really great dumpling place in Flushing a coworker mentioned to me, I will try to get the name. He had the opinion it was even better.

Thanks. Do you mean regular dumplings or soup dumplings? I do like Tian Jin Dumpling House in Flushing (天津風味). It is very much the embodiment of street food vendor. Inexpensive ($4-$7), and pretty good quality food. Sitting on stool and bench. Definitely not the place to take your date out (unless you want the other person to initiate the breakup).

2 Likes

No, I have not. Look interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

It might be, he was not very clear to me when he stated there was a better place. I really enjoy the soup dumplings, so that is what I am after.

Have you tried the soup dumplings at Shanghai Cafe on Mott Street?

I see. Yes, I have heard there are several good soup dumplings place in Flushing beside Nan Xiang Xiao Long Bao. Interestingly, Nan Xiang is the only place I tried. What do you think of Joe’s Shanghai (鹿鳴春) in Flushing? I have tried the Manhattan Joe’s Shanghai and I like it. I agree with bcc. If we are talking about Manhattan, then I like Shanghai Cafe Deluxe (喬家柵)and Joe’s Shanghai (鹿鳴春).

I’d suggest on the contrary that it might be a place that could help you identify your soulmate!

2 Likes

Hmm. Excellent point. Never thought of it this way.