Xanthan Gum

I, recently made some more of those “Chocolate In-Betweens” for my girlfriend (other thread). She really likes them.
She asked if I could make them with raspberry jelly in the middle. I’d like to add something that would thicken the jelly. I’m worried that the cooking process will liquefy the jelly too much and it run out when I cut them into squares.
Has anyone done any baking with Xanthan Gum?? How does it react when you bake it?? How much do you use?? I don’t want to change the taste of the raspberry jelly, just thicken it.
Are there any other options like gelatin?? Agar-Agar?? Guar Gum??
Thank you in advance.

Can you post the recipe?

I’ve used xanthan gum for GF baked goods. All the thickeners you mentioned have formulas for use, usually in GF or molecular gastronomy applications. Corn starch and tapioca starch would also work.

But I think it might be overkill - I’d suggest just looking for a fruit bar recipe, there are lots of those already in existence and I don’t think they use extra thickeners.

I recommended skipping the “jelly” and use real raspberries (fresh or frozen) in sugar, cornstarch, and cook down, occasionally stirring 'till really thick and bubbly.

Way more control, and better than jelly.

2 Likes

Chocolate In-Betweens

1.5 cups of brown sugar

1 cup butter flavored Crisco

½ teaspoon of salt

2 cups of flour

1.5 cups of oatmeal (grind ½ cup in food processor)

Filling

1 can sweetened condensed milk

3 tablespoons of cocoa powder

In a large bowl cut Crisco into flour using pastry cutter, then add brown sugar, salt and oatmeal – mix together. If too dry add a little ice water. Butter and line 8” x 8” baking pan with parchment paper, put half of dough mixture into bottom of baking pan.

In a small sauce pan (low heat) heat up 1 can sweetened condensed milk with sifted cocoa powder, stirring constantly. DO NOT BRING TO BOIL. When warm and mixed well, pour over first layer in baking pan.

Sprinkle/drop remaining dough on top. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, then turn up oven to 375 – 400 to brown top (approximately 10-15 minutes) Let cool a few minutes and cut into 9 squares. Refrigerate until cold and remove from baking pan.

What is GF??

I would use raspberry preserves instead of jelly. Should hold up just fine. Especially after cooling down.

1 Like

GF = Gluten Free

Good suggestion, Scott, but…
In general, I like my girlfriend, but not enough to go through all that work.

Then use top quality preserves or jam, looking for lots of fruit bits rather than congealed juice. Maybe even warm up the jar before pouring contents into a sieve and letting them drain.

Do NOT use jelly, which will melt and run when subjected to heat.

Back when Chowhound hadn’t yet been ruined, there was a thread about making these raspberry jam fruit bars including cheddar in the oatmeal crumble part. MAYBE it was the cheddary spread in the 8oz plastic cup-shaped containers? Meerkt is a brand of this in my area. Or that Kraft Olde English jarred stuff? I was intrigued and tried one of the recipes. They were quite good. I thought about using apple butter, or making a pear jam and using shredded gruyere, but never got around to it.

1 Like

Is this song the lines of what you’re looking for? You can swap your dough for theirs.

2 Likes

Yes… I think that is what she wants, something along those lines. It appears their “Natural Fruit Spread” will not break down when heated.

I guess I was trying to jam “a round peg into a square hole”. My girlfriend likes this raspberry jelly she gets at the Dollar Tree and wanted it substituted for chocolate. It appears the simpler solution is to use preserves or fruit spread.

Why not just try the jelly you’ve got and see what happens. My guess: it will be fine. If not, add some cornstarch to the next batch.

When I use cornstarch I usually make a slurry, I was afraid to add liquid to jelly. Can you just add the powdered cornstarch directly without making a slurry?? I was also worried that cornstarch might change the taste. Will it??
I’m really a novice when it comes to cooking/baking. There is so much I don’t know.

Since the jelly is from dollar tree I think you’ve got some room to experiment without it getting expensive - at least that’s my inclination.

1 Like

Dollar Tree raspberry jelly is probably Polar or Pampas brand. Most likely Product of China. Bad stuff. Use it up and buy Smucker’s the next time around.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bookmark. I think some folks use this for hot sauce. Also I like jam bars.