WSJ Article: Restaurants Have Ways to Stop You From Splitting Meals

Anyone out there have a WSJ subscription? This article looks intriguing and worth at least summarizing here. I’m curious to know how they’re doing it.

Restaurants Have Ways to Stop You From Splitting Meals

As more diners share appetizers and entrees at the table, eateries rework their menus

(https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/food-cooking/restaurants-split-dishes-lower-bill-54f8443d)

1 Like

I can access the article through my Apple News subscription. It’s been years since I subscribed to the WSJ. The Apple News link might not work for everyone, but here is the link:

2 Likes

No dice.

Dang.

Didn’t work for me, either. Then I thought that I could read it through my NYPL membership, but apparently it only works in-library (despite claims in another section that it worked from home). My local library does not have access.

Great news – I found a tweet with a link that allows public access:

https://x.com/AdamTrot/status/1739649578918453715?s=20

Here’s the actual link to the article. If it doesn’t work, try the tweet.

Restaurants Have Ways to Stop You From Splitting Meals - WSJ

4 Likes

I was going to try my professorial library account, but the link would have only worked for me. Glad you found an access.

1 Like

Forget the wine . We’ll both have water. . Nothing for me .Thank you .

2 Likes

Since I can’t comment there since I am not a member, I’ll do it here.

My favorite piece was “A larger portion of lobster pasta that used to cost $60 now costs $130 and is also meant for sharing.”. Not sure about anyone else, but since my wife eats lobster and I do not, there is no way I’d pay $130 for a portion that she can’t come close to finishing (not that we’d order it for $60, either, but presumably, some people would).

Also, would have liked to ask the relative size of the meatballs that went from $15 for a large to $12.50 for three small. There’s no way that they are the same total weight as they used to be. The quote in the article made it seem like people were being stupid for complaining about the change.

2 Likes

“I don’t want it to be something where guests can game the system,” Niel says.

So much hospitality right there!

4 Likes

There’s a photo slider with the before and after of the meatball app.

1 Like

That was pretty much my reaction to the article: so much for hospitality. In our household we’ve definitely noticed inflated restaurant prices and adjust our spending accordingly. Abstaining from booze is an easy way to save $30+/check.

3 Likes

What a jerk he is saying guests try to game the system, meanwhile HO’s work efficiently to get around a paywall for a free article instead of paying for a subscription.

I have a subscription.

2 Likes

Just used your quote from the article, no personal inference intended.

Interesting that you mention “booze”. I used to try and justify “inflated restaurant prices” due to the cost of food as it has risen significantly in the last couple of years. But booze is another story… Safeway and CVS pricing on the spirits I buy (CC, Bulliet, Knob Creek, Absolut, Tanqueray) have pretty much remained constant for as far back as I can remember… yet restaurant served cocktails have gone from 5-7 dollars to 12-20.

Moreover, while the best local fish 'n chips place have raised their prices by 25-30%, most other restaurants have doubled their prices on less satisfying taste and portions. Big reason why I rarely go out anymore.

Even crappy ol’ Subway sandwiches have more than doubled in price. Guess someone needs to pay for all the pro athletes doing their ads. (c;

3 Likes