Wrapped Sandwiches

OK, so today I had a really good muffaletta at a local place. Actually, an excellent muff, even by NOLA standards, and this was about as far from NOLA as you can get and still be in the contiguous. But it was messy.

I could only eat about half, so I got a clamshell. As I paid, I asked if they would wrap the muff for takeout. They said no–it would be in a box.

That got me thinking about places I know that wrap their sandwiches. The several that came to mind all offer most excellent fare. In fact, for me, there’s been some significant link 'twixt quality and wrapping, be it for bahn mi, Philly cheesesteaks, muffs, or even hamburgers. Beyond containing the mess of any slop, the wrap keeps juice with the sandwich, and usually retains the heat or cold. I love peeling down a paper wrap, or goosing the food partially out of a bag–it just seems more civilized somehow.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

It’s faster to use a box.

It’s also safer and minimizes worker injuries (you need sharp edges to cut wax, butcher or parchment paper)

3 Likes

Yeah, workers need to cut the sandwich, and usually do so anyway with a bread knife.

I’ve watched this process many times, and it’s pretty fast.

But do you appreciate it when your sandwich is wrapped? I’m sure your dry cleaner doesn’t, but you?

I like me a wrapped sammich, if only for the moderately practical reason that one can, upon sitting down, unwrap the item and have a plate/placemat for setting it down, to catch crumbs/drips, and for crumpling up the mess when you’re done.

Occasionally a sandwich will suffer for the wrapping, especially grilled sandwiches where the wrapping can seal in steam and lead to the sad de-crisping of a crunchy grilled exterior or the softening of the cheesy frico edges. In those cases, a clamshell with a couple of vent holes is the preferred method of transport.

1 Like

I’ve learned to eat my food.

Not wear it.

3 Likes

Wrapping can also hold a sloppy mess of a sandwich together to eat, or to set down between bites. The aforementioned muffaletta was one of those sandwiches in which the slippery insides tried to escape with every bite. Handed back and forth to Wahine, it quickly started deconstructing, ending as a knife and fork excercise. Papoose-ing it would’ve helped that.

Good point about crispy sandwiches getting soggy.

Do you offer any training courses? Because I’ve been practicing this eating thing for over half a century, and am somehow still keeping my dry cleaner in business.

3 Likes

OK then.

I once took an afternoon river tour out of New Orleans. We brought along lunch, which for the three of us consisted of sandwiches from Verti Marte, IMO one of the world’s great sandwich shops. https://vertimartenola.com/

Thank God they came wrapped. I would defy you, even with your advanced state of eating knowledge, to have managed one of these unwrapped without soiling yourself and the deck.

5 Likes

Solution - only buy washable garments.

2 Likes

The wrap on a bagel sandwich and also huge burritos from 2 famous chains are useless – they slice the sandwich/burrito in half THROUGH the wrap after assembly.

For large sloppy sandwiches I’d prefer a box. They become fork & knife food pretty quickly anyway.

1 Like

Or edible ones.

1 Like

And it should be noted that these sandwiches are served wrapped.

But eaten unwrapped.

Me, too, but sometimes my shirt really wants a taste. My lap on occasion, also.

I’m with Lectroid - I like a wrapped sandwich except where it will mess something up.

Or, at least the portion currently being eaten should be unwrapped.

See? It’s in the instructions.

4 Likes

Well, unless you’re going to eat the paper, yeah.

Sandwich at Roxie and at Mendocino Farms were wrapped.

Not sure how much it mattered here, but I love what wrapping does for a muffaletta.

3 Likes

Good luck with an un-cone-wrapped gyro, unless you have a plate and don’t mind using your fingers. :joy:

3 Likes

Ah, I forgot about gyros! Maybe there’s a wide “Athens Stance” for eating them unwrapped?

What about a “Colima Straddle” for mission burritos?

1 Like