Worst Bolognese Ever

Having an Italian paternal family, our family recipe is:
5 Tblsps Evoo - Italian
3 Tablesp. French butter 82% butter fat
1 small carrot finely chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 small celery stalk finely diced
1 garlic clove finely sliced ( add more if you prefer )
1/ 4 kilo of sliced pancetta sliced into quarters
1 / 2 kilo of veal or beef minced or ground
1/ 2 kilo of ground pork (not lean )
1/ 4 cup tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
1 cup dry white Italian wine
1 tsp. salt
1 / 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

TO MAKE THE RAGÚ …

Heat the evoo and butter in a wide 8 quart heavy pot over moderate heat or flame until the butter is melted and then sauté the carrot, onion, celery, and garlic stirring occasionally, until tender and not browned ( 12 minutes approx ) …

Then when veggies are tender, increase the heat to high simmer and stir in both the veal or beef and the pork and the pancetta sliced finely. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up any lumps and sauté until the meat is beginning to brown, 10 minutes - 12 minutes.

NOW, STIR IN the tomato paste, milk and wine in this order and gently simmer on low flame ;
UNCOVERED and over low heat until almost all liquids have evaporated and the RAGÙ IS MOIST … NEVER ADD WATER TO A RAGÙ !!!

Now, simmer on very low flame for 1 hour - 1 !/2 hours … STIR IN SALT AND FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER TO TASTE, STIR AND REMOVE FROM HEAT …

Very simple and fool - proof recipe from my Italian great grandmother handed down to my paternal grandmom, still alive and well and to my mom … and me, the only child.

Enjoy …

8 Likes

@Barca - thank you for your family recipe. Very precise! I will have to try this one. Oh, and I am an only child too!!

1 Like

Pizza marinara in Naples is a pizza with tomato sauce and garlic. No cheese and no seafood.

1 Like

You are welcome …

It is quite delicious and always the key to a successful lasagne or pasta of choice or gnocchi …

NOTE: YOU CAN ADD SAN MARZANO TOMATOES PEELED AND DE-SEEDED (SEEDS MAKE SAUCE BITTER) AND / OR USE A FEW FRESH TOMATOES IF YOU WISH … I USE 6 SMALL TOMATOES PEAR SHAPED AND VERY RIPE.

2 Likes

And now from the ridiculous to the sublime - last night we went out for dinner (yay) to a really good Italian place. The owner is from Puglia and the food there is really exceptional. Still craving a good bolognese and not wanting to make one, for fear of really turning into a beach ball, that’s what I ordered. Fresh made tagliatelle bolognese with a dollop of whipped ricotta on top. It was heaven. The pasta itself was perfect but that sauce - it was very meaty and the meat was tender and flavorful and the sauce itself had tomato in it but was more pink than red. And mixing in the whipped ricotta made it so creamy. Ah, I feel satisfied now. I brought half home… something to look forward too!!

1 Like

What a perfect idea to sate your craving for a great Bologognese sauce @winecountrygirl! I’ve decided to switch things up a bit for my freezer re-stock this time; going to give Mario’s recipe a go, to see how we like it. Our June has been cold, our very local dining scene isn’t too inspiring, and a lot of places in our nearest town don’t have outdoor seating - my comfort zone during Covid. So ready for our world to be at least semi-normal again. Not complaining, we’re all safe and well, thankfully! Just lamenting…

Went again last night and had my wonderful tagliatelle bolognese. I ate every drop. Insanely good!!

1 Like