World 's Best 50 Restaurants 2019

Here it is again, the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list for 2019.

1. Mirazur (Menton, France)

2. Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)

3. Asador Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)

4. Gaggan (Bangkok)

5. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)

6. Central (Lima, Peru)

7. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)

8. Arpege (Paris, France) Alain Passard’s place

9. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)

10. Maido (Lima, Peru)

11. Den (Tokyo, Japan)

12. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)

13. White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)

14. Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)

15. Septime (Paris, France)

16. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)

17. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)

18. Odette (Singapore)

19. Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia)

20. Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)

21. Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)

22. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)

23. Cosme (New York City)

24. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)

25. Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France)

26. Boragó (Santiago, Chile)

27. The Clove Club (London, UK)

28. Blue Hill at Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, New York)

29. Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)

30. Elkano (Getaria, Spain)

31. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)

32. Nerua (Bilbao, Spain)

33. Lyle’s (London, UK)

34. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

35. Atelier Crenn (San Francisco)

36. Le Bernardin (New York City)

37. Alinea (Chicago)

38. Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)

39. A Casa do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)

40. Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)

41. The Chairman (Hong Kong, China)

42. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)

43. Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)

44. Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)

45. Sühring (Bangkok, Thailand)

46. De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)

47. Benu (San Francisco)

48. Ultraviolet (Shanghai, China)

49. Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)

50. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)

Is Olvera the only chef with two on the list (Pujol, Cosme?)

I’m generally skeptical of these lists (and Michelin), but I enjoyed watching Chef’s Table which iirc selected candidates largely from this one.

1 Like

Same here, you never know how they managed to whittle their lists down to these ones.

There are two UK ones on the list. I am gobsmacked that Lyle’s would make anyone’s top 50 list of anywhere, let alone the world. And I’d never even heard of the Clove Club previously. Co-incidence that they are both in the same neighbourhood of London? Or just someone couldnt be arsed to walk very far from their hotel?

I’m actually glad Lyle’s made it - fellow Hungry Onion @ds and I really enjoyed our lunch there during my last visit to London. In fact, the last couple of trips I made to London last year, Shoreditch had been one exciting new area which we started exploring. But, like you, the Clove Club escaped our notice, and we were gobsmacked that it made the list as UK’s highest entrant.

But then, stranger things have happened - look at Bangkok-based Gaggan, a modern-Indian outfit which ranked 4th on the list, which also made it the highest-ranked Asian restaurant on the list - 99% of Bangkokians would never have stepped into the restaurant as Thais seem to be very averse to Indian curry spices or Indian cooking of any kind.

Blue Hill makes the list every year. I must be missing something. I don’t care for it. Must be me?

A few years ago a friend and I tried to reserve at Babbo for the same evening. Nothing was available, but they told us to come by, since they always had a few tables for walk-ins. We went, and there was nothing, so they recommended the original Blue Hill around the block. We got a table there, and Mayor Koch was dining there that night. I was not very impressed with the food.

I have reservations at #24 - Quintonil in Mexico City next month! We are on the waiting list for #12 but I’m not feeling optimistic. Shout out to @mariacarmen for putting the idea in my head :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hope you will be able to get into BOTH! Waiting for your reviews!

2 Likes

What a year for Mauro Colagreco! After getting his Michelin third star this January, now being also awarded on the top of this 50 best list.

1 Like

Never been to Quintonil, can’t wait to hear!

1 Like

Tbh I don’t know if I had heard of the list before the tv show. And that I enjoy for the cinematography and the treatment of the journey story. Pretty plating or clever dishes don’t always translate.

I went to Roister (Alinea chef) shortly after he was featured (and Roister was new), and it was a let-down. EMP ditto (which is now on a “super” list?) even though its sister restaurant (the NoMad) was one of the best meals I’d had at the time.

So, there are always lists. In nyc there was Zagat for a long time (and again soon, apparently) - idea was this was real people eating and rating (even though that must’ve been partially untrue - there was no way that many “normal” people had eaten at the most expensive places).

1 Like

My friend recently did the taco tasting at Pujol (bec it was the only seat available) and said it was worth the hype (trusted palate).

2 Likes

I’ve heard that Blue Hill at Stone Barns is a different experience; the city restaurant is just a decent high-end restaurant, no more. Like TFL vs. Per Se.

my friends said the same.

I’ve been to a few of the present/past 50 best. I found they all were worth the hype, fortunately!

Perhaps more interesting are the several other UK restaurants in the rest of the San Pelli list - those from 51 - 120. Every single one is in London which, if one was genuinely looking at our country’s best, you would quickly come to the conclusion that this was just bollocks. No mention of Nathan Outlaw; no mention of L’Enclume; no mention of Sat Bains, no mention of Moor Hall.

The fault (if one was sufficiently arsed to regard it as such), is the way the San Pelli voting takes place. It requires the various regional judges to have eaten outside their home area as well as inside it. In itself, that leads to votes being awarded to the latest “trendy” places that are in easy to travel to locations. Almost inherently, that means a foreign judge wanting to visit the UK is going to review an easy to get to London location, rather than have a five hour drive to Port Isaac to eat Nathan’s food or L’Enclume.

1 Like