Wok Hei and the usage of a wok in home kitchens

saw some posts about pizza, with practice and patience, anyone can bake world class pizza in most home ovens, just not Neapolitan pizza.

best,

A South China Morning Post video on Wok Hei.

Wok hei: why do stir-fry dishes taste better with the ‘breath of the wok’? - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks, Chem, this was really good.

I must’ve missed the part where they used induction and glass tops…

Seriously, that rocking/rolling/shoveling motion in contact with the burner rim is mesmerizing. And it was interesting that a ladle is used rather than the rake.

I am puzzled by the resort to the little “pow” handles. I’d think that a Peking-type stick handle would be better and more comfortable.

Now I’m hungry!

I like to use a wok ladle, but a spatula is more popular for home cook. Yeah, I tried the pow handles but never like it as much. I like the stick handle more.

(post deleted by author)

Sorry! But I would like to express my disagreement to those comments pertaining to ’ impossible to create wok-hay at home’ !!
For me, I managed to create desired smoky aroma, charred meat ( Maillard Reaction ) and flambee of the oil…etc…all essential elements of ’ wok-hay ’ by using a ’ separate propane burner ’ placed next to my outdoor BBQ, for my wok and ’ woking’! ! The single burner generates 100,000 BTU! ( exceed the recommended minimal 65,000 BTU needed for ‘wok hay’ generation ).
BTW, I noticed they are selling even 200,000 BTU burners on Amazon!!..for around US$75
I guess, if there’s a will, there’s a way!

I have a pimped 175kBtu wok burner, but I would NEVER use it in or anywhere near my home. To be “safe”, one would need a capacious, noncombustible area within the home with very high-capacity air handling equipment and a suppression hood. Even then, it probably wouldn’t meet residential fire codes, which likely means the home is uninsurable.

Outside only. Billing these burmers as suitable for “home” is dangerous.

1 Like

GOOD ADVISE!!
To play safe, I place my ‘woking arrangement’ on a stone slab patio floor back onto a stone/brick wall.

1 Like