Wok Hei and the usage of a wok in home kitchens

Ok. Not that. Not that - for me.

1 Like

I didn’t know most fishes are killed by slowly suffocated to death. (Looked up ikejime and the found out more)
Heck, I just burred the video images. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

LoL that a video called

• The Right Way To Kill A Fish

feels the necessity of stating:

• WARNING: THIS VIDEO CONTAINS FOOTAGE OF FISH BEING KILLED

(Unless the warning is tongue in cheek…)

Times I’ve gone charter fishing, the keep them in a live well until we head back then they slit the gills and let them bleed out in the water, which they claim is a humane and quick kill.

But spiking and stirring the brain is how we always killed fish growing up.

Good video overall; enjoyed it - thanks.

No… I think it is real. This is a fish… but imagine if this is a video of slaughter a cattle. I think many of us have a huge disconnect of how a living animal makes it into pieces of nicely cut up meat in supermarket. I know at least a two persons who do not like to eat chicken wings and drumsticks. Not because of the texture, but rather these pieces remind of a real animal. They have no problem say eating a chicken nuggets or chicken tenders…etc.

1 Like

Have you seen the film “No Country for Old Men”? The punchrod is how cattle are now stunned, before being stuck and bled. The first worker in my dad’s line originally used a .22, but USDA made us switch to a powder-actuated punchrod. The prop used in the film is air-actuated.

Are you talking about Dave Arnold’s video? He goes to his usual lengths to show that ikejime makes a qualitative difference on the plate.

Ikejime really is one of the kindest ways you can put down your catch before consuming it, but a few years ago one of the big ikejime videos was being shared as “proof” of animal cruelty. Stabbing the fish’s brain obviously puts it out, but the imagery of running a steel line through the body to sever nerves is slightly offputting to those unfamiliar. The dead fish has muscle spasms that were being presented as proof the thing was still alive. So I think some posters of ikejime videos have become a little defensive trying to display that it is an overall good thing.

2 Likes

I think you’re right - people will use anything against anyone, even if it makes no logical sense.

1 Like

Definitely. I also suspect there are agitators who enjoy setting up minor political debates for their own amusement. And this situation definitely appeared very political in the comments. Fishing youtube is littered with much more morally questionable treatment of fish, but someone chose this subject specifically to make a fuss over. I love Julia Child, but watching her slowly scissor a live lobster in half starting from the tail is much more concerning than a spike directly to the brain, followed by bleeding and nerve severing.

1 Like

Slit the gills. The nicest thing you can do, and the best way to preserve the freshness of the meat. It bleeds them out quickly.

1 Like

Love that movie. The punchrod works. I remember seein ti used in the 80s, then the throat is slit.

One of my fave movies, though.

I solved my wok hei problem by buying an inexpensive outdoor propane burner 30$ from restaurant supply, and setting it up on 2 cinder blocks outside. It gives me 50,000 btus (more are available depending on the burner you buy) and since it’s outside venting isn’t a problem.

2 Likes

This is a good solution, if your flame doesn’t blow itself out. What are you running for a pressure regulator? I use an older version of this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GASONE-4-ft-0-PSI-to-30-PSI-High-Pressure-Propane-Regulator-and-Hose-with-PSI-Gauge-and-Propane-Orifice-2120-50105/310727280?g_store=&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_022_GRILLS-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_022_GRILLS-NA-MULTI-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-SMART_SHP-71700000090520815-58700007648833922-92700069174188819&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x0xqNBAORukqlVChPzVcTfUaokYshRM__HZ1XPMOFVqsXOH_iyKbScaAm8zEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is so true. The Netherlands is one of the largest pork producers in Europe (the world?). We even supply porks to Italians for them to make salume. Once in a while a local news station will show how cruelly porks get treated and then all hell breaks lose, but then quickly it’s business as usual.

We do have a political party that exists specifically to safeguard animal welfare, and they have one out of 150 seats in parliament. I also support (through donations) a NGO that tries to protect animal welfare, for example by pointing out incorrect supermarket advertorials.

In Hong Kong, if you’re an animal lover, stay out of the wet markets. I’ve seen how they kill fish: with a hammer.

2 Likes

Look, between you and me, I really love going to wet markets and see how they ‘clean’ fish.

I’ve stayed a few times at Langham Place (Mongkok) and I loved going to the Nelson Street wet market around the corner…

Transparency is indeed key. That is also the reason why I usually buy whole fish and poultry.

3 Likes

Really? This seems to say that NL produces 7% of EU’s pig meat. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/BRIE/2020/652044/EPRS_BRI(2020)652044_EN.pdf I like how they break down the number of pigs per 100,000 people.

2 Likes

Yeah, Denmark is the real outlier within the EU. Parts of NW Germany have quite intensive pig farming, as well, to the detriment of the environment. There was a recent article in the Guardian about it: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/26/how-germany-pig-belt-got-too-big-lower-saxony

2 Likes

Denmark rears a lot of pigs and has quite an impressive pigs per capita. However, many of them get exported live to Germany and Poland for slaughter and thus might get counted towards the meat production stats of those countries.

2 Likes

best thread drift ever

5 Likes

Why would they get counted towards the meat production stats in those countries? Rules of origin require the pork to be labeled by the EU state in which it’s produced as well as processed, no?

In any case I’m pretty confident the EU’s own internal report would reflect these details accurately.