Wok Hei and the usage of a wok in home kitchens

Yes, steaming is another important aspect. Dim sum is a speciality in Cantonese food. Roasted meat like Char siu is another one.

2 Likes

I think some people think of stir fry and wok hei as being locked together like yin & yang.

Well tell that to 2 billion Asians who make stir fry weekly in their woks in their home kitchen.

I agree that most stir fry could be made just as easily in a larger frying pan or paella pan or a sauter pan/saucier pan. A wok just gives you the ability to jump and toss the ingredients like in no other pan and that’s a big plus to me.

2 Likes

Home cook (in Asia) stir fry but in a modest scale. If you want certain wok hei dishes in asian, you just eat out. People are starting to get more concern about health, i think they are cooking more and more with non stick pans with minimal oil at home.

Tossing are mainly male chefs’ thing, it is very physical, the wok is to heavy to toss. I can toss with a pan maximum.

2 Likes

This was my original point to Andrew when he claimed cooking in a wok was pointless without a high output burner.

2 Likes

Well my Demeyere Apollo 7-PLY 32 cm wok is fantastic for jump sautéing.

It might just be my favourite pan in my kitchen.

2 Likes

I think most of my pans are probably heavier than my carbon steel wok. You’re right that tossing is quite physical though.

1 Like

I have a male friend worked in chinese kitchen, he is around 30 and used to work with wok for 5 years, he said he has developed long term pain with the constant tossing.

2 Likes

Hong Kong. God I miss HK food!

1 Like

Do you mind if I ask the weight of your wok?

I try to find a new one, but hope to find a lighter one as well.

1 Like

It is indeed an amazing place - without wanting to get political - its a shame what’s happening.

I’ll settle for Singapore too. Both are truly foodie nations, and have so much great food. I’m thrilled to be moving back to SG at the end of the year.

2 Likes

Back to HK or Singapore? Much prefer Singapore myself… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So many people posting. I don’t even know who to respond to, so I will respond back to the original post.
Like almost all cuisines, there are more than one dish or two, or one technique or two. Stir fry is very much a “signature” of Chinese cooking because it is more unique compared to many cuisines around the world. While stir fry is an important component of Chinese cooking, it is not the only style of cooking.

To borrow the Japanese cuisine… sushi is very well known around the world, somewhat the most distinctive portion of Japanese cuisine. However, sushi is far from the only cuisine within Japanese cuisine.

Now, within stir fry, Bao is only one of the many stir frying techniques. So the very high temperature Bao cooking in restaurant, is a subset within another subset in Chinese cooking.

3 Likes

Singapore. Spent a good 6-7 years out there for my last stint. In the meantime I’ve married a Singaporean, so it’s time for another stint.

3 Likes

It’s very lightweight. For a 7-PLY Demeyere.

1.5 kg

It’s the 30 cm I own.

You can’t go wrong with this pan.

Thanks! I’m looking at all the choices and the budget I have, including Japanese and Chinese woks as well.

Naf, you can order it on either bestsale.eu or berondi.com

Best prices in the EU on Demeyere cookware.

I got mine for a bargain 3-4 years ago - I think I paid just €149 for it.

2 Likes

Great info! thanks!

1 Like

Don’t have the wok, but +1 on bestsale.eu - i got a lot of my Demeyere there

2 Likes

Wow that is a lot less than I was expecting.

Have you had any issues with food sticking on the stainless? I guess you’re moving it so much that it doesn’t have a chance, but that was always one of my slight fears with a stainless wok.

1 Like

Congrats. Maybe one day I will be able to spend a few years there too. The food is amazing and the people are amazing. Especially if on expat conditions I’d not hesitate one minute.

2 Likes