Witherspoon Grill - Princeton NJ

I’ve hear a lot about this place and have been wanting to try it for a long time. Finally on Sat I got my chance!

Had 6pm reservations and arrived on time, place was already full, they were accommodating in holding the table as we had a cocktail at the bar.

After a cocktail we were seated and served bread with a garlic butter, bread was a very good dense Italian bread. For apps I had shrimp cocktail and Kumamoto oysters (on special). The shrimp cocktail was not jumbo shrimp, they were 21-25’s at best, however they give you either 5 or 6 so it wasn’t a ripoff.

I ordered the 12oz prime NY strip steak medium with a side of creamed spinach. Other entrees at the table was a filet mignon, trout special and scallops. Service was “slow” all night but not to the point of complaining.

When food arrivedy steak was a little smaller than expected and over cooked. Not fully well done but certainly closer to well than medium, because service was “slow” I decided not to complain. Steak was good but not exceptional especially given it being touted as prime aged.

I tried a scallop and it was delicious, no complaints about the either of the other two entrees. All in all it’s not a bad place however I don’t understand the phenomenal reputation the place has, it wasn’t exceptional to me by any means.

I would go back I’m just not in a hurry to do so, would much rather go to Ruth Chris’s up Rt 1 a bit.

I agree with this 100%. It’s a nice place but the food’s totally meh… It’s been a while since my only time there but from what I recall the steak was really underwhelming for a steak place.

1 Like