Will homemade mustard age faster at room temperature?

Ok here’s a tutorial on making mustard with pictures. First a disclaimer: This batch of mustard is for personal use only & not for sale. All of our product mustard is prepared in a commercial kitchen.

It’s the basic recipe from above:

3 C Yellow Mustard Seeds
3C Brown Mustard Seeds

I alternate them because it makes it simpler to grind them later. Those little mustard seeds are sticky & they get everywhere so the less you have to do with them after they soak the better.

Add 6 C Water

Now we let them soak. I may not get to these tomorrow & if not, I’ll put them in the fridge till Saturday. Hope you all can stand the suspense.

3 Likes

So here’s the rest of it.

Mustard seeds the next day:

they have soaked up all the water & they’re ready to go.

Into the FP:

And after processing:

I made a video stirring the final mustard but it seems I can’t upload it here. Anyway - additional tips:

You can tell the texture of the mustard in the FP cuz it’ll slow down. You want to add vinegar/water enough to keep it moving. That gives a good texture at the end. Of course while you’re learning, keep it a bit tight. You can always add more liquid at the end to get the consistency you want.

If you use horseradish, let it stand at least 10 mins after you grate it to develop full potency. If you put it in the mustard right away the vinegar in the mustard will dampen it so you don’t get the full flavor.

Have fun & good luck.

2 Likes

Good info JoeB

How do you taste it for salt?

I purchased new mustard seeds and went ahead with your recipe. When I was tasting it, the mustard was too hot for me to tell if I had enough salt. Do you not have this problem? It’s mellowing out now day by day. I hope it gets to where I want it to be. I think I needed more salt in it, though. It looks similar to what you’ve shown. It’s been a couple years, but I don’t recall having so many issues making mustard before. The only other variable, besides quality of mustard seeds, is that I’m now using a Vitamix. (My food processor burnt out.) The Vitamix heats up the mixture a lot more than my food processor did.

Nice looking mustard bmore. Salt-wise, I don’t put much in. Maybe 1/2 tsp per 4 1/2 cups. That VItamix is a powerful machine. It may be heating the mustard.