Why People Eat at Chain Restaurants

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US!

4 Likes

I am ok with tartar sauce but not a big fan. I just mix capers in mayonnaise, home made or Duke’s. Now I want pan fried oysters!

1 Like

I love tartar sauce.

I even love mayonnaise.

Heck, I love Miracle Whip even more.

Duck For Cover GIFs | Tenor

4 Likes

Nope.

Casualty of the pandemic.

Depends where you are, I think. The McCafés in Toronto serve breakfast, grilled cheese, pastries, salads all day long , but don’t carry burgers/nuggets/McChicken/fish/fries.

A McCafé replaced a McD’s near Union station during renovations around 2016. As a result, from 2016- March 2020, Egg McMuffin & Grilled Cheese (could add bacon or tomato) became a frequent lunch order for me when I was in a hurry, because burgers weren’t available.

Mayonnaise is a food group in this household. Also, I ought to clarify my remark on tartar sauce. I am just not a big enough fan to pick it over capered mayonnaise.

Ah, yeah I saw that headline but didn’t read the article.

Since we’re talking McD’s & appropriate to the topic an addition to my first comment way upstream which is people are sheep-ish. At the local mall there was an Au Bon Pain, McD’s, Japanese Teriyaki place, & Arby’s right next to each other. Across from them was a then Taco Bell, Sbarro, Panda Express, & a cursed stall that could not keep any business in it.

It was my habit for years to go out there Sunday morning, spend a couple hours browsing Borders Books, Best Buy, & the gaming shops & then heading to the food court around noon. McD’s was always slammed with a long line. There was never anyone at Arby’s-- surprised they lasted as long as they did but gone now. McD’s closed that one since they had a full sized store at the mall’s entrance–which they took down & built a new one next to it.

1 Like

Shot fired… oh, shots DEFINITELY fired.

2 Likes

I just don’t get it. I’ve eaten at Waffle House a couple of times and found the food completely unremarkable. Certainly not better than “99% of the fancy independent brunch places”, not even close. I understand the comfort factor of familiarity, but objectively the food isn’t anything special.

2 Likes

I think we underestimate the power of nostalgia, too.

3 Likes

… and convenience.

3 Likes

In the end, it’s all about one’s priorities. The first (and last) time I remember having a BK double (!) was bc everything else in town was closed when I got out of a recording sesh late.

It was actually quite good, at least in that moment … but I was also starving. And ginormous for someone who’d only ever had a Whopper Jr. before. A regular whopper likely would’ve been plenty.

Every type of restaurant has its place in the vast culinary ecosystem we call “our dining options”.

High end for those special occasions and splurge meals, or when you’re eating less for the food and more for the experience of eating the food.

Fast food for, when, you want, y’know, something cheap, casual and quick, but still tasty.

Mom-and-pop, indie places are nice when you’re looking something truly “authentic” and down to earth.

And everything else in-between when you just kind of feel like it.

Just don’t judge what or how others eat.

We all came from different cultural and social-economic backgrounds. Have a little empathy when commenting on a person’s food choices.

Eat, and let eat.

4 Likes

Of course. Anyone who judges people for their likes or dislikes is most often an insecure snob. People like what they like. I avoid FF for the most part, but I don’t think I’m ‘better’ because of it.

Eat, and let eat, indeed.

3 Likes

Oh, I definitely think I am better because I can appreciate the Filet-O-Fish.

3 Likes

eeew . . . Filet-O-Fish. Next thing you’ll tell me you’re a devotee of mayo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, I once worked with a guy who wouldn’t eat lunch with people who ordered anything seafood or anything with mayo. I thought he was joking at first, but nope, it “disgusted” him. I can’t stand mayo, but I have a jar in my fridge for mom and am in fact the deviled egg maker of the family. I don’t eat it, but I’ll make mom a sandwich or salad or devil some eggs for the family. And I can honestly say I have never been “disgusted” by what others at my table may order. Now, their dining etiquette . . . A story for another day.

1 Like

Waffle House (or Denny’s, or IHOP or any other similarly low-end vinyl booth establishment) is not about quality, and never has been. It’s been about convenience and value.

Think back. The last time you were in a Denny’s, how’d you get there? Did the conversation start with “I dunno, what’s open at this hour?” Or maybe “I don’t care, I just want some coffee and some toast…” or other similar expression of a need to consume food, but where the actual food was of secondary importance to the act of consumption, or to the act of just being somewhere out of the car where you can sit and talk?

2 Likes

Try and stop me.

Except it sort of is. Hash browns scattered, smothered and covered are not (as far as I know) readily available where I live. Neither are cheese grits with a crazy amount of butter, or over-easy eggs that are cooked just barely through yet somehow crisp at the edges. It’s not “elevated” food, but it is - to me, anyway - special food.

3 Likes

I like the uniform or name tag . Well thank you Lisa or Jerry. You know where to look for service.

1 Like