Why doesn't NJ have more food trucks?

It might be me, but we don’t seem to have that many for being the most densely populated state. I visited beaverton for the first time maybe a year ago and that place is like the food truck mecca. Any thoughts?

I feel like this is a very region specific thing. I work in Jersey City and there are TONS of food trucks. But I rarely see them in areas that I do think would do well (Red Bank, Asbury Park) unless it is a food truck event.

1 Like

AP has 5-6 food trucks at North Beach all summer…

Ah, I should have added full disclosure: we super rarely go to AP in the summer.

I have a guess:
Diners!

(“New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred to as the diner capital of the world.” )

1 Like

I would guess there is a political aspect - NJ is one of the most regulated states in just about everything I can’t imagine food trucks to not fall under this umbrella of regulatory excess. There are 565 self rule municipalities each with it’s own municipal and zoning code they can use this power to exclude or drastically limit food trucks from competing with local restaurants/creating nuisance sitiations.

1 Like

In NJ you seem to have two choices in government - corrupt or incompetent. Some times out you get some of each but you seldom get neither.

3 Likes

The state of licensing for food trucks, mobile eateries & roadside dining can only be described as ‘capricious’. All retail licensing is handled individually by each township/community/boro or whatever. You have to get a separate license for very community you visit in your food truck.

3 Likes

Wow. Today I learned… jeeze!

Suburban sprawl… only a handful of cities with enough foot traffic.

1 Like