Why Do they Keep Moving Things Around in the Supermarket?

It’s easy until they “remodel”, move everything around, then as soon as you get the layout figured out, they move things around again, and then again. That happened at our local market, and only began happening three years ago. I still wander around trying to figure out if San Pellegrino lemonade is in the juice aisle this week, or with the sodas. :grimacing:

I feel so inadequate :pensive:

[quote=“Bookwich, post:41, topic:6711”]
It’s easy until they “remodel”, move everything around, then as soon as you get the layout figured out, they move things around again, and then again.

The just did that at my Stop and Shop. I finally figured that place out and they changed everything!

That’s fascinating! I did notice on a recent trip through Dillard’s that only the Clinique counter was in the same place in the cosmetics dept., everything else had been moved around. It had probably been a year since I was in there last.

Unless something is vastly changed since I was in the department store biz, cosmetics departments have always been heavily subsidized (if not outright paid for) by the cosmetic companies. It’s not surprising that brand placement depends on sales, but it may also depend on which brand is willing to underwrite the best bottom line.

3 Likes

It’s a long involved journal of what you need to get at the store. Then you leave it on the table when you actually do go to the store

1 Like

We use the pizza shell, Boboli, from time to time and the display is moved around the store all the time. Last time, a store mgr. found the display in the storage area by frozen food and the item was on sale! Go figure. If they would keep the display by cheese or sauce that would be helpful!

1 Like

My understanding was the large retailers let suppliers bid for shelf space and position. So to get a prime position the supplier needs to offer bigger discounts or 'rebates" to the supermarket chain. Its one of the reasons that the major brands get eye level shelf space while supermarket home brands are on low shelves.

That said I think the positioning of good within shops tends tone driven by the psychologists. Popular items at the back to draw people in; complimentary products together to drive multiple purchases; offers on the aisle ends; hot bread units to makes us salivate (you buy more when you are hungry); and of course moving goods or locating staples far apart so you need to walk the store.

This is true. It has been for years.

Shelf facings are linked to local ad support and product discounts.

It’s also one of the main reasons why you still get the grocery store flier delivered every week, when your daily paper died years ago.

What makes me crazy are those stupid box displays, (set diagonally, no less), blocking not just the aisles, but the item you need to get to on the shelf behind it.

3 Likes

They make it so hard! The box displays that you have to move to get to the product you need!

Jeez! How often does this happen??? It’s been several years since my favorite grocery store moved aisles. And they don’t have displays that block any aisles or shelves. Stupid people parking their carts to block aisles and shelves is another matter entirely.

You are lucky. They block the aisles with display boxes in my store all the time. And yes, the carts are a problem, especially when they have a big yellow toy car attached and mom is talking on her cellphone!

3 Likes

Yeah, those carts are pretty unwieldy. Our store only has 2 so it’s not a huge problem.

You have better markets than I do!!!

Haha! Yes, we are lucky. Family run local chain (well, plus 2 in Illinois) with the most helpful and happy workers, really good prices and selection, nice produce, never a long checkout line. And it’s clean!__

Nice. We have a place like that a few minutes from us, but it’s not a place you can really do all,of your weekly shopping in.

1 Like

Well, that stinks. Heinen’s is my go to store for everything except bulk spices (which I usually order online) and corona beans.

As someone who does consumer psychology work - most of this is driven by non-psychologists making stuff up to justify their design and adjacency decisions - no science required, just add dollars to the proposal.

1 Like

Years ago I worked in a public library and we had cardboard display units/ book dumps for paperbacks that were provided by publishers or jobbers. I hated them as they were always in the way and were easily knocked over.
Fed up after having to pick up one that some kid “accidentally” bumped into, I permanently relocated the dump to the staff bathroom where it actually proved to be quite useful as a storage unit for rolls of toilet paper. Scott tp brought to you by Harlequin Romance…

5 Likes