Why Do My Cookies Always Spread Too Much?

Hi everyone!
I’m new here I found this forum community very helpful for cooking that’s way I’m here say hallo to community.
I’ve been facing a recurring issue with my cookie recipes no matter what I try, they always end up spreading too much in the oven. I’ve experimented with different types of fats, chilling the dough, adjusting the oven temperature, but nothing seems to work. I follow the recipes meticulously, but my cookies never turn out as thick and chewy as I want them to be. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what tips or tricks can you share to help me achieve the perfect cookie consistency?

Have you tried less fat/more flour?

4 Likes

What is the color of the baking sheet you’re using? The darker pans absorb more heat, and might be melting the fat you’re using more quickly, resulting in thinner cookies. I’ve always read to use a light or medium-colored cookie sheet, although I’m sure the baking experts here will correct me if I’m wrong. :slight_smile:

Also - which fats have you used? Cookies with butter will spread more. As @Babette says, use slightly less fat/slightly more flour?

2 Likes

This might help you: https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/04/345530660/the-science-behind-baking-your-ideal-chocolate-chip-cookie

Post your recipe(s) and maybe some HOs could parse it for you, but I’ll add to the growing chorus: less fat, more flour.

5 Likes

Now I want chocolate chip cookies. :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

6 Likes

I ALWAYS want chocolate chip cookies!

4 Likes

Welcome.
There are a lot of resources out there for troubleshooting Cookies. Here is One from KAF

1 Like

Yes, less fat, more flour.

Also, opt for parchment paper rather than silpat if you want to minimize spread.

Beginning form factor matters too. Start them chilled in nice tall scoops, rather than trying to flatten them onto the cookie sheet.

2 Likes

Ensure your butter is at the right temperature. Softened but not overly warm butter is crucial for the right texture.

Therein lies the rub! The right texture is very much a personal opinion, and many variables factor into it.