Why Do Jews Eat Chinese Food on Christmas?

I don’t mind revived threads so much as I am annoyed by the people who pop in to offer their opinion without reading anything (posted articles, conversation) to show… uh, I don’t know why they do it. And tbh I don’t know why I frequent boards when this kind of lazy ‘splaining’ is the name of the game for some.

1 Like

I am Jewish and I’ve been going out for Chinese
food on Christmas all my life. I don’t think I need to read up the issue as I’ve lived it.

4 Likes

I’m also Jewish. I know the stereotype is Chinese food and Barbara Streisand movies. One year I did a messed up version of that, Arby’s and Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I was living in Nebraska and the only place open was an Arby’s at an Iowa Truck stop, (across the River.) That was a weird Xmas.

5 Likes

And Nixon proposed single-payer health insurance for all.
Never had a chance.

1 Like

The big O?
My ex was from Omaha and Jewish. Lots of memories and my favorite extinct restaurant- The Bohemian Cafe. R.I.P. :frowning:
Welcome to the party, pal!
(I’ve been watching Die Hard on a loop) :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Bellevue, a half a mile south of Omaha. 25th And Chandler. It was near a latino neighborhood.

My cousin’s office was in the building where Die Hard was filmed. Also The Joker, Cesar ROMERO, lived in his condo Complex. I now live in the Detroit Area.

1 Like

Chiming back in with a pretty much irrelevant factoid relative to ‘Chinese restaurants in every small town’:

Back in the ‘60s my grandfather lived in a small town in the San Jacinto Valley area of Southern California. The one restaurant I remember there, from back then, served prime rib and “Chinese” food as it’s mainstays. That was before my not-yet-embarked-upon business life took me to Asia on a regular basis. My memory of the “Chinese” menu, when we’d take Grandpa there, is thankfully foggy.

2 Likes

My wife’s family came from Prussia to Brooklyn, on to Des Moines, both stops as butchers, then on to Omaha where they changed professions to clothiers. They operated Morris Men’s Wear DT and in Benson for many years.

2 Likes

I was such a little kid when I started going with my parents, they had to request phone books* for me to sit on…

*an early, primitive form of booster seat. Also, a directory distributed by the phone company that listed everyone’s phone number (unless you paid extra to be “unpublished” or “unlisted”) Arranged alphabetically.

8 Likes

I kind of regret not making it to the Bohemian cafe or Johnny’s Steakhouse. I think I missed something.

1 Like

That, I did not know. Le sigh.

That’s not the big O. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

My late mother in law’s favorite disparaging term was
Omaha ha ha.
Like many Midwestern burgs, life is easier in them if one has a sense of humor and a bit of cynicism.

1 Like

Why do people care what Jews eat on Christmas?

1 Like

Why do people care what anyone eats anywhere, anytime?

Oh, wait… this is a food board.

Never mind.

6 Likes

Well, yes, but it almost seems to be singling out (and dare I say making fun of) Jewish people.

I, mean, there’s no thread asking “Why do Korean people eat [insert food item] on Christmas”

If Korean people are known for eating a particular cuisine on Christmas, you don’t hear much about it. But Jews eating Chinese food on Christmas is a thing, and maybe read the article that the first post in this thread links to.

7 Likes

Read the linked article… first? Before commenting, you mean? Wut.

What a novel concept!

5 Likes

If Koreans ate bagels, lox, and cream cheese every Christmas, you can bet there would be threads about it.

4 Likes